Question Server is pulling a 169.254.* IP address, only device on network doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Kelly

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
So at some point in the last few months, my home server stopped being able to see the Internet. When I check the ipconfig, it shows a "link-local" address starting with 169.254. I know this means that it can't see the DHCP server, but networking is not my strong suit and I don't know how to fix it. The server is literally the only device that is doing this - all my other devices are able to pull normal addresses in the 192.168. range. Would greatly appreciate some help fixing this as cloud backup for my server data is broken in its current state.

kanewolf

Titan
So at some point in the last few months, my home server stopped being able to see the Internet. When I check the ipconfig, it shows a "link-local" address starting with 169.254. I know this means that it can't see the DHCP server, but networking is not my strong suit and I don't know how to fix it. The server is literally the only device that is doing this - all my other devices are able to pull normal addresses in the 192.168. range. Would greatly appreciate some help fixing this as cloud backup for my server data is broken in its current state.
Is this a physical server? How is it connected? If wired, the first thing should always be put in a new factory made 100% copper ethernet cable direct to your router. If that works, then start moving the "router" end of the cable down your networking chain.

Texas Kelly

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
^^^
This.

In addition a server should never be pulling a DHCP address. Servers always have a fixed IP.
I'm actually pretty sure the server actually HAD a fixed IP address at one point because I have port forwarding rules for it on my router. Not sure how that went sideways.

I'll try updating the network adapter settings a bit later when I don't have work to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.