Service pack 1 won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I installed windows. I downloaded a bunch of updates. Booted my machine many times. Once all the updates installed. I go to windows update the the Optional service pack 1 update is there. So I download and install it. My machine will not boot. The repair routine starts. I can't repair it and I can't restore to an earlier time. Every attempt to restore fails. There are several restore points prior to installing service pack 1. It always fails with an error message. What are the benefits of installing service pack 1 and does it really matter?

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
The error received by startup repair after spinning around for 15 minutes is Problem signature 6.1.7600.16385 Missing OSLoader 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256..1 Locale ID 1033 It says Startup repair cannot fix this automatically.

How can it be missing? I haven't deleted any files. I havn't installed any programs either, not even anti virus. Is there a way to fix this at a command prompt?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
If you have problems getting the service pack from Windows Update, you can download the SP1 installation package from the Microsoft Download Center, and then install SP1 manually.

Go to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download webpage on the Microsoft website, and then click Continue.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win7

Choose either the 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit (x64) version of SP1 depending on whether you're running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and then click Download.
To find out which version you're running, click the Start button The Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Under System, next to System type, you can view the operating system.

To install SP1 immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install SP1 later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install SP1, double-click the file.

On the Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 page, click Next.

Follow the instructions on your screen. Your computer might restart during the installation.

After installation is complete, log on to your computer at the Windows logon prompt. You might see a notification indicating whether the update was successful.

If you disabled your antivirus software, enable it again.

Microsoft.com

You can also try the fix in the link below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/troubleshootwindows7sp1

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
didn't help. I reinstalled again. This time the 101 updates before the service pack update didn't install and corrupted. Microsoft I wish you would get your act together. It should not be a battle every time to install windows and I should not have to spend 2 hours crossing my fingers and "hoping" that Windows will install. I hope you are reading this post.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
This isn't Microsoft's fault as it works for all my systems at work flawlessly.

Did you try SR-71 Blackbird's suggestions - that should get it to work. I had that issue with installing certain updates to a PC last week. Windows Update had errors but downloading the file manually (specific to your OS & architecture, x86 or 64-bit)

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
No I have not tried SR71s idea. I can try this if I can get the other updates installed first. Should they be installed before service pack 1? There are 101 of them. Before I attempt SP1 again, I will create restore points and also make a system image. If this doesn't work, I'll just buy a MAC.

Chris Snuggs

Honorable
May 24, 2013
"This isn't Microsoft's fault as it works for all my systems at work flawlessly."

Is it MY fault then? I have a 1 year-old machine with Windows 7 Pro installed by the vendor. I have installed many programs myself, which all work. However, service pack 1 will not install. It keeps trying to install itself, finds an error and then goes back to square 1 - doing this every time the machine is started.

I suppose I will to have to yet again reinstall Windows 7, but can I do this without deleting all the DATA, which is on a different virtual drive?

Would it be worth buying a Driver-Checker programme?

Frankly, I am loath to accept that this is MY fault! Windows is just too complicated. Fine when it's working (I congratulate you) but a nightmare when it is not.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Agreed that it is a nightmare when it is not working. Abso-freaking-lutely.

I do not mean to sound like a jerk and say it is your fault but what I mean, with all due respect, is that it may be something on your end. Perhaps your network or hardware even.

As an IT consultant myself I would personally rather look at this machine as there are loads of warning signs that would save hours of having us try to make you test things for us.

I wish I could give more advice other than restarting each time then trying again. I have had that happen but it was always resolved by restarting and trying again.

Checking the event log (event viewer) can give the clues needed

If you can find someone to look at your machine locally then they could probably see the insight I am not able to interpret.

Also I highly do NOT recommend paying for a driver-checker. Freeware is almost always out there. I doubt it is a driver issue unless you can tell us the exact update it is failing on. It should say the KB article number to refer to.

ienichols

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I'm mainly a Linux user, but swap to Windows occasionally! Win 7 SP1 has refused to install for ages, but today I finally solved the problem!

There is excellent advice here: http://people.virginia.edu/~jek4x/kb/kb_Win7_SP1_Fix.pdf

I could not install SP1 from Windows Update.
I could not get the standalone installer to work: it failed with a permission problem, something like insufficient permission to run c:\*\spinst.exe, even when run as administrator!
I couldn't get the installer to run for an in-place upgrade.

At some point in the past I had been playing around with file permissions for NTFS inside and outside of Linux, and I think I must have corrupted the default permissions that meant even admin privileges didn't work.

So in the end I used "Permissions Time Machine Light": http://amydprojects.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/permissions-time-machine-v14.html
to reset the default permissions for drive C:. Other methods are descried here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-to-restore-default-security-permissions/ab58f918-da72-42c0-ba71-161d52b73d46
and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

The standalone installer then worked, but complained about lack of space, so I cleaned up and relocated some user files. It then couldn't find the boot partition. I dual boot with Linux, and use a different active partition, so had to mark the Windows partition as active!

Thereafter the installation proceeded, and I have SP1 installed!

I hope this helps someone!

podfj

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
This IS Microsoft's fault! SAME as it their fault when networking locally doesn't work. There should be an all- inclusive reset for all these functions PERIOD! I can't get SP1 to install, I can't get Explorer 11 to install and I can't get their idiotic HOMEGROUP) to work. I had a working and relatively secure network on XP. Despite all of the suggestions given here and the self help aids given by Microsoft they STILL don't work! I am not an amateur at this having built all of the computers at my home and at least seventy installs, for myself and friends, of earlier versions of windows. There is ALWAYS a juke with Windows 7. None of their self help suggestions or programs work correctly or at all. This is idiotic. At least TOM'S hardware site tries to help.

newmouse

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Do a Repair Reinstall.
Consider getting a copy of Windows 7 sp1 full installation (the whole copy of a Windows 7 installation files) - it can be found around the Net fairly easily.
Then do a 'repair Install' over - that is run from within - the existing installation.

Repair Install is really good. It will keep all existing programs & settings & generally tidy up.
AND it will install service Pack 1.
BUT (careful here !) when the newer install is run it will likely complain that the existing, without svc pk. 1 version
is wrong & refuse to continue.
There are many Net sources that say it can't be done.
It can by going to the new Windows7 install files & setting the Setup.exe to Compatibility Mode for "VISTA Service Pack 2" .
@@@@

Status
Not open for further replies.