Question set of identical 2x8 GB DDR4 3466MHz show different frequency in bios

May 19, 2023
Hello there,

I've come upon an issue with my RAM sticks. I am using 2 identical CORSAIR VENGANCE DDR4 3466 MHz sticks but in the bios it is shown that one of them is supposedly at MHz 3200.
They are the same sticks and came in the same package in a kit.
Anybody got an Idea what is causing this?

Also, the reason I saw this issue in the first place is, because I was trying to figure out why my system is only using 8GB of RAM while recognizing 16GB. If anybody got a potential lead on that as well, I would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my motherboard is: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
3200 is probably what the processor is capable of running them at. What cpu?

but in the bios it is shown that one of them is supposedly at MHz 3200.

There wouldn't be different speeds, they'd all running at 3466 or 3200, not a mixture.

Post screenshots of memory and spd tabs from Cpuz. Assuming motherboard bios is on the latest and Xmp is enabled, you might want to try manual ram settings. Copying same timings and voltage Xmp sets but do it under manual circumstances. Sometimes Xmp, a preset, doesn't always conform.

Amd, though great platform, can be somewhat challenging when it comes to ram and going above standard (cpu memory controller) Xmp speeds.

As for incorrect ram amount, sometimes reseating OR switching them around can help. Otherwise, the words faulty ram stick can come into this.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023
3200 is probably what the processor is capable of running them at. What cpu?

There wouldn't be different speeds, they'd all running at 3466 or 3200, not a mixture.

Post screenshots of memory and spd tabs from Cpuz. Assuming motherboard bios is on the latest and Xmp is enabled, you might want to try manual ram settings. Copying same timings and voltage Xmp sets but do it under manual circumstances. Sometimes Xmp, a preset, doesn't always conform.

Amd, though great platform, can be somewhat challenging when it comes to ram and going above standard (cpu memory controller) Xmp speeds.

As for incorrect ram amount, sometimes reseating OR switching them around can help. Otherwise, the words faulty ram stick can come into this.

Thank you for your response.
My CPU is the AMD Ryzen 2700X
I switched over to some 3200 sticks I had left over and they were also showing (in BIOS) that they supposedly had a different frequency. CPUZ shows they are the same.
CPUZ also shows that the sticks are underperforming. Which I do not know why.
I switched the sticks around in an effort to get the whole 16GB of RAM but it is still only using 8 and the other 8 are apparently dedicated.

Attached are some of screenshots:

May 19, 2023
D

Deleted member 2947362

The two values your seeing are the XMP profiles either 3200 or 3466

so the kit has two xmp ram speeds profiles, you should be able to enable XMP and run them at 3200 profile or 3466 profile

D

Deleted member 2947362

look in your Bios for XMP and enable it it should set the ram speed for you once it's enabled you can download Aida64 to test the ram speed using it's memory benchmarks, very handy software that gives load of in about your system.

May 19, 2023
look in your Bios for XMP and enable it it should set the ram speed for you once it's enabled you can download Aida64 to test the ram speed using it's memory benchmarks, very handy software that gives load of in about your system.

Apologies for the late reply.

I checked it with AIDA64 and these where the results:

-With the sticks in slot 1&3:

[ DIMM1: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3466C16 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3466C16
Serial Number None
Module Size 8 GB (1 rank, 16 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered DIMM
Memory Type DDR4 SDRAM
Memory Speed (XMP) DDR4-3466 (1733 MHz)
Memory Speed DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage (XMP) 1.35 V
Module Voltage 1.2 V
Error Detection Method None
DRAM Manufacturer Samsung
DRAM Stepping 00h
SDRAM Die Count 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-With the sticks in slot 2&4
[ DIMM3: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3466C16 ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3466C16
Serial Number None
Module Size 8 GB (1 rank, 16 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered DIMM
Memory Type DDR4 SDRAM
Memory Speed (XMP) DDR4-3466 (1733 MHz)
Memory Speed DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage (XMP) 1.35 V
Module Voltage 1.2 V
Error Detection Method None
DRAM Manufacturer Samsung
DRAM Stepping 00h
SDRAM Die Count 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is probably due to my inexperience with RAM in general, but are they not underperforming with a 1733MHz?

May 19, 2023
Ram should be in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu, these are the primary slots. Running them in 1st and 3rd is not ideal and is probably why you're having trouble. Move them and choose an Xmp profile once enabled.

Thank you for your reply,

originally I had them in slot 2&4 but I was moving them around to test if they would behave differently.
I since moved them back into 2&4.
In my above post you can see the results of them being in different slots.

Thank you for your advice.