Question Set up remote desktop connection in workgroup

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
TL;DR: I need to have my laptop be able to connect to my desktop while not on the same network; both of them are in the same workgroup.

Hi everyone,

First things first. Given: a laptop and a desktop. I (actually, my relative, but that's not the point; I'll be doing a majority of the tech stuff) need to connect a laptop to a desktop by means of RDP. The two computers are on the same workgroup (I know Windows Server would be an ultimate solution, but... come on, it's just two computers; why have so much hassle for only 2 computers, right?) The desktop has a MS account, the laptop has a local account. I enabled the remote session on the desktop, but...
1. How do I sign into the desktop from a laptop in RDP? At least, to test it first, whether the remote session would work. Remember that the desktop has a MS account
2. What do I need to do to enable the remote session while the laptop is outside the local network? The more secure the remote session would be the better... (Although I realize the ultimate solution is just to unplug the computer from Internet and not use external storage media at all. But still...)

I'm pretty good with computers, but not good with setting up remote sessions outside of the domains just yet. So any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I did a Google search, but found only "not so safe" ways to do it. Is there a more secure way to connect the two computers?

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
...................2. What do I need to do to enable the remote session while the laptop is outside the local network?........................
If you need to access the desktop computer via the WAN then the desktop PC will need a Pro version of Windows and a fixed public IP address. You'll also need to open some ports in the router. Doing that will expose the desktop to everyone on the Internet so it's not recommended at all.

Other remote-control options are available though. TeamViewer is one and it's free for personal use. You can access the desktop directly via its private IP address. For that to work you need to allow "incoming LAN connections" on both TeamViewers. If the desktop is not on the same LAN then you can access it over the WAN using its ID.