[SOLVED] Setting my ram speed to the advertised 3600Mhz

Apr 4, 2021
Hi all! So I built my own pc awhile back and I tried to mess with the ram speed in BIOS but with no luck so here I am again trying to get my Trident Z Neo up to the advertised speed of 3600.

I went into MSI bios, enabled A-XMP, set DRAM to 3600 and voltage to 1.35v. After restarting, I tried to click on the search bar at the bottom of the screen and my screen would turn black for a few seconds and then show color again. This happened over and over as soon as I tried to click or interact with anything on my screen. I tried going back on ram speed and tried 3400 but that was even worse so I settled back onto 3200. I don't want to be wasting my ram's potential so how can I set my ram to the advertised speed? Thanks in advance!

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 3600XT
RAM: Trident Z Neo 16gb (3600C18D-16GTZN)

Last edited:
Solution
I tried to leave voltage as auto and it did not work either. My screen turned black again and kept resetting. I just checked and the RAM is not in the QVL list of the motherboard. Does this mean I won't be able to run it at 3600Mhz at all?

Not with the XMP. Manually settings everything possibly.

When the screen turned black again and kept resetting do you mean right after you set the XMP profile the PC reboot a few times by itself? That's normal. It's called memory training. Let the computer reboot by itself 2-3 times and see if it post. If that blackscreen is in the OS forget what I said.

QVL is a list of the RAM that was tested with the board using the XMP profile at advertised speed. If it's not there it doesn't mean you...
RAM: Trident Z Neo 18gb (3600C18D-16GTZN)

18GB? Probably meant 16GB.

That's a 2 sticks RAM Kit of 3600MHz CL18 RAM.

Are those 2 sticks in the slot A2-B2?

Is your BIOS up to date? BIOS update adds memory compatibility.

If everything is updated and the RAM is in the good slot try with the XMP profile at auto but you change the speed manually to 3600MHz.

Apr 4, 2021
RAM: Trident Z Neo 18gb (3600C18D-16GTZN)

18GB? Probably meant 16GB.

That's a 2 sticks RAM Kit of 3600MHz CL18 RAM.

Are those 2 sticks in the slot A2-B2?

Is your BIOS up to date? BIOS update adds memory compatibility.

If everything is updated and the RAM is in the good slot try with the XMP profile at auto but you change the speed manually to 3600MHz.
Yeah there in the correct slots and bios is updated as well.

I went into the bios, turned on A-XMP, manually set the speed to 3600, and dram voltage but my pc started bugging out once I logged in.

Apr 4, 2021
Sadly not many people are aware but even the motherboard's memory controller is subject to the silicon lottery, meaning it may have trouble handling those levels of clocks. You would need to fiddle with your SoC and other relevant features to stabilize your clocks.

Try reading over this to get a feel on how to do so.
https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/9224/gigabyte-amd-x570-ryzen-overclocking-guide/index.html
I will definitely read it! I am not that knowledgeable about most of what it is talking about but I will definitely try to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Yeah there in the correct slots and bios is updated as well.

I went into the bios, turned on A-XMP, manually set the speed to 3600, and dram voltage but my pc started bugging out once I logged in.

What if you leave the voltage to auto? Only the speed you set manually.

Like Newtonius said it's possible you won't be able to get them to work at 3600MHz using the XMP. You might have to set everything manually without using XMP.

Was the RAM in the QVL of your motherboard? RAM in that list has been tested with XMP at their advertised speed.

Apr 4, 2021
What if you leave the voltage to auto? Only the speed you set manually.

Like Newtonius said it's possible you won't be able to get them to work at 3600MHz using the XMP. You might have to set everything manually without using XMP.

Was the RAM in the QVL of your motherboard? RAM in that list has been tested with XMP at their advertised speed.
I tried to leave voltage as auto and it did not work either. My screen turned black again and kept resetting. I just checked and the RAM is not in the QVL list of the motherboard. Does this mean I won't be able to run it at 3600Mhz at all?

When the screen turned black again and kept resetting do you mean right after you set the XMP profile the PC reboot a few times by itself? That's normal. It's called memory training. Let the computer reboot by itself 2-3 times and see if it post. If that blackscreen is in the OS forget what I said.

QVL is a list of the RAM that was tested with the board using the XMP profile at advertised speed. If it's not there it doesn't mean you can't achieve 3600MHZ but probably not using the XMP profile.

I will leave a RAM settings pro tell you how to do it.

Solution
Apr 4, 2021

QVL is a list of the RAM that was tested with the board using the XMP profile at advertised speed. If it's not there it doesn't mean you can't achieve 3600MHZ but probably not using the XMP profile.

I will leave a RAM settings pro tell you how to do it.
Oh okay, that makes sense. So because it hasn't be tested with that certain ram, the axmp settings don't work in my case.

And it booted up on the first go as soon as I applied changes in bios. After logging in, I tried to use the windows search bar to open up task manager and check the ram speeds in the performance tab, but the box that would pop up with all the information turned black. Then it would go unresponsive, like the pointer wouldn't move with my mouse and my keyboard wouldn't type anything. Then after a few seconds, it would turn my screen black for a few seconds before showing my screen again. Whenever I tried to interact with anything, it would do the same procedure and just turn off the screen. I don't think my pc reset because the lights inside are still going and no flickering of any kind.

Oh okay, that makes sense. So because it hasn't be tested with that certain ram, the axmp settings don't work in my case.

And it booted up on the first go as soon as I applied changes in bios. After logging in, I tried to use the windows search bar to open up task manager and check the ram speeds in the performance tab, but the box that would pop up with all the information turned black. Then it would go unresponsive, like the pointer wouldn't move with my mouse and my keyboard wouldn't type anything. Then after a few seconds, it would turn my screen black for a few seconds before showing my screen again. Whenever I tried to interact with anything, it would do the same procedure and just turn off the screen. I don't think my pc reset because the lights inside are still going and no flickering of any kind.

Yeah that's RAM instabilities. Leave it at 3200MHz. It's not the end of the world. It's a few FPS in some titles and 0 fps difference in others.

If someone can come in here and help you setting that 3600MHz manually with the timings etc you might be able to get 3600MHz. Use 3200MHz in the meantime :)

Apr 4, 2021
Yeah that's RAM instabilities. Leave it at 3200MHz. It's not the end of the world. It's a few FPS in some titles and 0 fps difference in others.

If someone can come in here and help you setting that 3600MHz manually with the timings etc you might be able to get 3600MHz. Use 3200MHz in the meantime :)
Yeah, I left it at 3200 for now. I honestly forgot I had lowered the speed of it until I saw it on sale again and I noticed that the speed was supposed to be 3600 so its all good. Thanks for all the help btw!