Question Setting up a MOCA Ethernet/Coax connection ?

CableKC

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
I finally got off of Xfinity Internet to switch to AT&T Gigabit Fiber. As a result, I also "cut the cord" and went full Internet streaming of TV throughout my house. I recently saw on Youtube that you can use a "Coax to Ethernet" MOCA adapter to expand the reach of your Home network via your existing Coax Cabling within the house.

In one of the Corner rooms in the farthest corner of my house, there is an unused but connected Coax cable that runs out of the wall that runs to the main splitter that is located on the outside of my house. In my computer room where my main WiFi Router and AT&T Gigabit fiber is located, I also have the old coax cable frunning from there to the main splitter.

Since the Coax cabling in my house is now unused between the Computer Room to the Corner Room, am I able to connect the Coax Cables from both the rooms and use a "Coax to Ethernet" MOCA Adapter to effectively run a hardwired connection between the Computer room to the other Corner room?

Based off of the way I understand how this would work, I am thinking like this to connect everything together:

Main Router --> Ethernet Cable --> MOCA Adapter ( 1 ) --> Computer Rm Coax Cable --> Coax Connector --> Corner Rm Coax Cable --> MOCA Adapter ( 2 ) --> Ethernet Cable --> Second Router

When I read more into the COAX to Ethernet MOCA Adapters, it mentions something about utilizing higher frequency channels ( between 1125 to 1600 MHz ).

Since I'm not running any existing TV signals through the Coax Cable, am I able to use just a "regular" Coax connector to connect both Coax Cables?

or

Do I have to have one of those special Coax connectors that are designed to handle a MOCA data connection and/or higher frequency channels?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get any type of special connectors that can handle and use the higher frequency channes or if I can just use a regular connector that I have at home.

In regards to the total length of the Coax Cable that I will have connected together, I have no idea how long the Coax Cable connection will be from one room to another. I don't think that there is any other splitters beyond the one mentioned above. My house isn't super huge, but is there any concern for Signal degradation that could impact the speed of the connection?

Any recommendation for any "Coax to Ethernet" MOCA Adapters that you have used?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Last edited:
Look at the splitters they generally are marked with the frequencies. If they are not real old they likely are ok.

If you only have 2 location you can remove the splitter and just use a simple barrel connector to connect the 2 coax cable.

The only concern I would have is that the splitter is outside the house. If the cable are made correctly they have a rubber gasket in the end to keep water out. Be sure the connectors are tight if you mess with them.

My guess is you can just buy the moca units and it will just work and you will have to do nothing. There is a length limit but I think it is similar to ethernet of being about 300ft so it is unlikely you hit it in a house.

You should be able to get full 1gbit speed if you buy the moca 2.5 units.

Reactions: CableKC

CableKC

Distinguished
May 13, 2013
The splitter is located outside but covered by one of those Xfinity cable Boxes. I will just get one of those regular coax cable connectors and test the connection to see how well it works. I don’t expect to get full 1 GB speed, but anything north of 700 GB Speed is good enough. If it’s below that, then I can look into a MOCA compatible adapter.

How well does your connection work given the length of your Coax cable?

Which adapter do u use?

I no longer need moca in my current house all the rooms have ethernet.

The brand everyone used to use was gocoax but they have raised the price and they seem to not be in stock often. I forget what company is actually making the moca chips, all the 2.5 units you find buy from the same company. There is not much difference between the various brands.
They in theory should function between brands but I would get 2 from the same company.

Reactions: CableKC