[SOLVED] Setting up a RAID?

Vamo Elysian

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a RAID using only some of my available drives? For example, my setup runs 2 x SSD, 1 X M.2 and 1 X HDD.

I would like to RAID together the two SSD drives into one big drive, is that possible or do you have to use ALL the available drives? Is it even possible to RAID a HDD with an SSD or M.2?

Also, what would be the best and most reliable RAID to use? I see talk of a 0 and 5 option but not sure what would be best, my setup is primarily for gaming.

Finally, do the drives in question need to be blank to create a RAID? As mine all currently have files on them.

Thanks for your time

Dale

Solution
Well, the reason I asked is because I've had to split my Steam games between two different SSDs as one is currently full, and I figured making one combined SSD would save some hassle of having two different install directories for Steam. As for what kind of RAID? I was hoping you could tell me lol, I've no clue if 0, 1 or 5 is best!
Steam games are EASY to put on different drives.
One Steam Library per drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Designate the not-full one as the default. Install accordingly.

As for what kind of RAID? I was hoping you could tell me lol, I've no clue
Then you...

Vamo Elysian

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
WHY RAID?

Well, the reason I asked is because I've had to split my Steam games between two different SSDs as one is currently full, and I figured making one combined SSD would save some hassle of having two different install directories for Steam. As for what kind of RAID? I was hoping you could tell me lol, I've no clue if 0, 1 or 5 is best!

USAFRet

Titan
Steam games are EASY to put on different drives.
One Steam Library per drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Designate the not-full one as the default. Install accordingly.

As for what kind of RAID? I was hoping you could tell me lol, I've no clue
Then you absolutely do NOT need nor want any RAID thing.

Windows and applications have gotten really good at using multiple drives.
A RAID array is useless for 99% of consumer use, including/especially yours here.
It just added needless complexity and fail potential.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

This is not one of the few scenarios in which RAID makes sense for a consumer.

Even if it was a good idea, there's more work safely maintaining a RAID than simply having two install directories.

In any case, if you do want to do this kind of thing, you can simply set up a basic, spanned volume.