[SOLVED] Setting up a secondary monitor in another room, few questions.

elderdrake

Honorable
Oct 20, 2017
I am currently looking for a way to stream data from one pc into another room where a second mouse and keyboard could be used. To clarify I have a lot of down time where I need to monitor things on a secure pc but I want to use my other pc to do things next to the laptop without interfering with the connection to the secured pc.

So it would be dedicated Ethernet cords running from a Ethernet Switch, one to the secure pc, one (IN) to the pc in the other room (to provide internet as it has no wireless on it), one (OUT) of that pc and running into my work room connecting to a device that allows me to connect an HDMI, keyboard and mouse as an extension of the pc in the other room to a secondary monitor in that room as well.

Sounds confusing and I apologize if I am explaining it a little backwards but I am sure this is an easy thing to do, I simply want to ask the community before I make a jump. I was going to pick up a Steam Link to do this but I will not be using Steam through the device as I just need an interface for that 2nd monitor and input setup. I believe I read that a Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ can do this as well but if anyone can shed light on what limitations those may have, alternatives, set-ups, and so forth I would be very grateful for. I should also mention that I am on a budget to do this of around $50 USD as it is a convenience and not a need situation.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any and all replies.

Solution
Your key problem is the display on the monitor.

There are devices that will solve the keyboard and mouse since they fairly slow. Pretty much the only reason you can't just use wire is they draw power from the computer via the USB. Old style keyboard and mouse you could use long wire many times.

The problem is the monitor. The data sent between the computer and the monitor is not compressed. It is huge bandwidth and when you try to run say 4k at 60 frames you even have restrictions on the type of cables you can use between the computer and the monitor.

Part of the reason KVM devices are so expensive is they capture the monitor data and convert it to another form that can be transferred to a another location.

The only crazy...
What you want is generically called a KVM but they tend to cost more than you budget. The main issue tends to be the video because of how much bandwidth it takes.

The simple solution is remote desktop but it will not work if the secure pc is not accessible via the network.

elderdrake

Honorable
Oct 20, 2017
What you want is generically called a KVM but they tend to cost more than you budget. The main issue tends to be the video because of how much bandwidth it takes.

The simple solution is remote desktop but it will not work if the secure pc is not accessible via the network.

Thank you for the reply.

I can not use the secured pc at all to run anything through. The Steam Link or Pie would not work? I ask as it will be used basically to play WoW and that is about it. Just so I can play with my wife when I have big down time, curse and benefit of the job is hours upon hours of nothing before a re-population.

Edit: Not trying to connect two pcs, just make it so I can have the one pc in one room with the ability to connect a monitor and HIDs (like the mouse and keyboard) to it.

Last edited:
Your key problem is the display on the monitor.

There are devices that will solve the keyboard and mouse since they fairly slow. Pretty much the only reason you can't just use wire is they draw power from the computer via the USB. Old style keyboard and mouse you could use long wire many times.

The problem is the monitor. The data sent between the computer and the monitor is not compressed. It is huge bandwidth and when you try to run say 4k at 60 frames you even have restrictions on the type of cables you can use between the computer and the monitor.

Part of the reason KVM devices are so expensive is they capture the monitor data and convert it to another form that can be transferred to a another location.

The only crazy idea I have is you could buy a cheap keybaord and mouse device and then use something like a web/security cam pointed at the monitor. The web cam would capture the image and be able to transmit it.
You will see quite a bit of lag because the camera can add seconds of time while it captures and compresses the data.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS