Setting up a ssd boot drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
I have my orginal hdd migrated onto a new ssd. Now I want to use the hdd as a data drive and the ssd as my boot drive. What would my next step be.

I have reinstalled Windows on HP systems with the OEM cd(not from HP) without any issues normally.

I did have to call them once and they fixed me right up.

I do not know who you got a hold of, but changing an SSD should have ZERO effect on an OEM version of windows.

In fact I have done just that with an HP systems(and many HDD -> HDD).

This is an activation(MS) issue, not an HP issue. It may be worth asking for a supervisor because something is not right about this.

I am with J_E_D_70 on this. No driver difference at all going from HDD to SSD. Windows has build in divers for SATA/IDE and most raid controllers. If you are making it to windows, you have the only drivers that would matter.

They are getting very BS here.

DEMAND a damn supervisor. You did not CHANGE anything but the hard drive(so windows boots sees it then re-boots to "install" drivers. after that it should have been all good.). I do this ALL the time on my systems(and clone as well). Give them your key and ask them to ensure it is properly activated in the system. None of this should happen.

I have clones Win7 from drive to drive many times(clone to single drive to rebuild raid volumes[then clone back to the new raid volume], switching from HDD to SSD, upgrading to larger hard drives. Every one of them worked.) and NEVER had this issue. All the copies I use are OEM as well.

I hate when a company passes the buck like this.

You can download an ISO file to make your own Windows 7 DVD.

Just make sure you get the one that matches what you have. If you have problems with that activation, then HP did not activate and send the info to MS. Something I have seen once, but again, MS did not give any issues with it.

You will NEED the COA key that should be on the system.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Please disconnect the hard drive when doing this install as if things do not go well, at least you can boot from that hard drive.

It is also a good idea to get all the drivers you need from HP or the makers website(video card) before and have them on a CD or flash drive.

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
HP is now going to send me a recovery disk and they say this should fix my problem. All I have to pay for is shipping so I guess that's not too bad....beats the hell out of paying retail lol.