[SOLVED] Setting up faster internet connection for desktop.

Apr 3, 2020
I currently have my tower connected to my wifi via an Asus USB adapter (no built in adapter). However the speeds top out at about 5 Mpbs and the router is just a couple rooms away in my apartment while my Xbox sitting near to it gets speeds of about 50 Mbps. I was wondering if i could set up a second router and hook that up to my desktops ethernet port, and what effect that would have if any. Either that or if I could add a network adapter to my motherboard, a GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 . Thank you for your time.

Solution
Since your GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 has a Realtek GbE LAN adapter, I would either just run a long Ethernet cable (cheapest option) or get a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters to get the connection from the router (an LAN port) to the desktop LAN port.

HERE is a list of good candidates. Any of the newer models of each would also be fine, whatever you can find on the best sale price. You will get well over 50Mbps -- most run close to 200 Mbps with low latency in the real world.

RealBeast

Titan
Since your GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 has a Realtek GbE LAN adapter, I would either just run a long Ethernet cable (cheapest option) or get a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters to get the connection from the router (an LAN port) to the desktop LAN port.

HERE is a list of good candidates. Any of the newer models of each would also be fine, whatever you can find on the best sale price. You will get well over 50Mbps -- most run close to 200 Mbps with low latency in the real world.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020

Thank you, I really appreciate it I might just suck it up and run the ethernet cable. This may be silly but i have an old Wireless N adapter laying around from my xbox, no chance that can be used right it says its a 5GHz band.

RealBeast

Titan
Thank you, I really appreciate it I might just suck it up and run the ethernet cable. This may be silly but i have an old Wireless N adapter laying around from my xbox, no chance that can be used right it says its a 5GHz band.
N wireless can support 2.4GHz always, and some also support 5GHz but it will not help. 5Ghz has poor matter penetration so will not extend as far as lower frequency longer wavelength such as 2.4Ghz (which itself suffers from only having 3 non-overlapping channels and being used on everything under the sun).

But your best bet is a cable if at all possible, best latency and (unless you run it very close and parallel to a power line for a long distance) it is highly reliable.

Apr 3, 2020
N wireless can support 2.4GHz always, and some also support 5GHz but it will not help. 5Ghz has poor matter penetration so will not extend as far as lower frequency longer wavelength such as 2.4Ghz (which itself suffers from only having 3 non-overlapping channels and being used on everything under the sun).

But your best bet is a cable if at all possible, best latency and (unless you run it very close and parallel to a power line for a long distance) it is highly reliable.

You really explained it for me I appreciate it, and now I understand why my xbox shouldn't be on my 5 GHz, ordered a 100ft cable to be safe, you've solved two problems for me. Thank you again. I wish you good health.