Setting Up FOLDER Security and Access

Hi:

I am setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between some XP and W2000 systems, and
want to arrange it so some users can access some folders, and not others.

The following is an example:

User Folder 1 Folder 2 Folder 3

Able Yes No No
Baker Yes Yes No
Charley No Yes Yes
Dog Yes No Yes

My problem is that I know there is a "shared" area, where everyone can access the folders,
and there are private areas where only the creator can access the folders, but I am not
certain how to set up an arrangement such as the one shown above, where the sign on will
be the criteria that will allow, or not allow, access to the folder.

First, is this possible?

Second how would one do it?

Thanks in advance

Best

John baker

Hi,

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John Baker" <Baker.JH@Verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between some XP and W2000
> systems, and
> want to arrange it so some users can access some folders, and not others.
>
> The following is an example:
>
> User Folder 1 Folder 2 Folder 3
>
> Able Yes No No
> Baker Yes Yes No
> Charley No Yes Yes
> Dog Yes No Yes
>

> My problem is that I know there is a "shared" area, where everyone can
> access the folders,
> and there are private areas where only the creator can access the folders,
> but I am not
> certain how to set up an arrangement such as the one shown above, where
> the sign on will
> be the criteria that will allow, or not allow, access to the folder.
>
> First, is this possible?
>
> Second how would one do it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best