[SOLVED] Setting up PC away from the Router

Dec 13, 2018
I'm using TP link Archer AC1200.
My problem is i want to shift my PC away from where it is to my personal Room but i dont want to shift my router with it and the reason is bad positioning. Router signal range wont cover up the entire house if i move it from its position.
Is there any possibility that i can still be connected with the ethernet without repositioning the wifi router?

Solution
Hey there,

Yes, you could use powerline adaptors. They can be very effective. Your router sits where you want it, you plug in one of the adaptors to the wallsocket and connect to router. Then you place the second adaptor in any socket you want around the house. The signal goes through your electricity cables internally behind the walls, to the socket where the second adaptor sits. You can get good set of adaptors which will have wifi extender capabilities. But essentially the socket adaptors extend the ethernet via the power cables.

My router is at the front of my house, my game room at the back. I get full speed on my 80mb down/20mb up speeds. It works great.
So for online multiplayer it's okay to have powerline adaptors ?
I'm using TP link Archer AC1200.
My problem is i want to shift my PC away from where it is to my personal Room but i dont want to shift my router with it and the reason is bad positioning. Router signal range wont cover up the entire house if i move it from its position.
Is there any possibility that i can still be connected with the ethernet without repositioning the wifi router?

Hey there,

Yes, you could use powerline adaptors. They can be very effective. Your router sits where you want it, you plug in one of the adaptors to the wallsocket and connect to router. Then you place the second adaptor in any socket you want around the house. The signal goes through your electricity cables internally behind the walls, to the socket where the second adaptor sits. You can get good set of adaptors which will have wifi extender capabilities. But essentially the socket adaptors extend the ethernet via the power cables.

My router is at the front of my house, my game room at the back. I get full speed on my 80mb down/20mb up speeds. It works great.

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg
Dec 13, 2018
Hey there,

So for online multiplayer it's okay to have powerline adaptors ?

Solution
Games do not really care about bandwidth most use well under 1mbs. They do care about consistent latency. Powerline has very consistent latency but it can be slower than wifi.

The other option if you have coax cables in both rooms is to use MoCA. The newer MoCA equipment can easily get 1gbit and has good consistent latency. You should consider moca over powerline units if you have the coax cable.

Reactions: tridibeshdashingggg