Setting up RAID.

sanderzz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I have a wd blue 1tb hard drive and I want to buy a second drive and run them together in RAID 0. I want to keep the data off the original drive, I do not want to format it, is this possible? Also how would I configure RAID using a standard BIOS I do not have a bios with a gui.
Thanks

Solution

I am typing to you on a PC with sata2 raid0 SSD setup and a 2TB HDD as storage.

I would recommend it.

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
You need to back up the original drive to another device (create system image) before you configure RAID0 if you want to keep the data.

Does your motherboard support RAID0? What is your motherboard model?

I agree SSD is a faster way to go. If you have an older PC (not sata3) you may wish to use RAID0 with 2 SSD's and keep your HDD to make regular image backups.

You will lose all the data off your current drive if you use it to build a RAID 0 array.
The only way to accomplish what you want to do without losing your current installation of OS and programs is to buy 2 more drives. Set these drives up in RAID 0, then using imaging software, image your current drive to the array. Otherwise, you start all over from scratch. The great thing about doing this, you will then have a backup drive for your array, which you WILL need because you are going to lose everything at one time or another.

sanderzz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

My motherboard is an asus m5a78l-m/usb3. is it compatible?

While this does provide a backup, it doesn't protect you from a catastrophic event that takes the whole computer out(fire, flood, theft, ect.). A better backup would be a couple of external drives with one off-site.

Yeah but the question wasn't about backups, it was about how to move his OS and progams to RAID array.
If the OP wants some advice about good reliable backups, I am sure he will ask.

sanderzz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I don't care for backups, the PC I plan to do this on is purely a gaming rig. I just don't want to reinstall all my steam games and windows.

sanderzz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Ok, excellent. So overall would you recommend RAID or should I just add another drive and not bother setting up a RAID array?

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

I am typing to you on a PC with sata2 raid0 SSD setup and a 2TB HDD as storage.

I would recommend it.

Solution

sanderzz

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your help :)

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

No problem