[SOLVED] Setting up second router as Access Point (I think)

bubbabr

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
I've run myself in circle on this one so go easy, not sure what I'm doing!

So we have a new outbuilding in which I'm trying to set up Wi-Fi. The router in the outbuilding (slave) is running DD-WRT has a wired connection to the main one in the house (master), and will be broadcasting its own signal. The master is a BT Home Hub.

What I would like to do is set up the slave so that anyone moving from the house (having connected to the master) will be seamlessly connected to the slave once they move into the outbuilding. I believe what I'm trying to set up is a second Access Point, as described in the second option on this guide, with same SSID but different channel etc.

The IP address of the master is 192.168.1.254, so as per the guide I set local IP of the slave to 192.168.1.255 (I also tried to other lower number like 222). I changed other setting such as disabling DHCP etc. When I do that though, I then can't access the log in page of the slave (and a wired connection to the slave doesn't show me the slave's IP address, it just self-assigns an IP to the connected computer).

So three questions.

Is a second Access Point what I'm after to achieve the desired set-up?
If not, what should I be doing?
If yes, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a million.

Solution
When acting as an Access Point.
  • Leave disconnected from your master router
  • Assign a Static IP Address you cannot use 192.168.1.255. In your case I would go with 192.168.1.253.
  • Use the same subnet (most likely 255.255.255.0). Input the Gateway IP (sometimes router) 192.168.1.254.
  • Don't forget to assign DNS either use the main router IP or your preferred DNS server. I prefer Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • DHCP should be disabled on the slave
  • Now the slave router should be connected to the master router via a LAN port not the WAN port. I forget if DD-WRT allows bridging the WAN port. Using the LAN makes life easier.
  • They should have the exact same SSID, Network Key (password) and encryption type (preferably both...
When acting as an Access Point.
  • Leave disconnected from your master router
  • Assign a Static IP Address you cannot use 192.168.1.255. In your case I would go with 192.168.1.253.
  • Use the same subnet (most likely 255.255.255.0). Input the Gateway IP (sometimes router) 192.168.1.254.
  • Don't forget to assign DNS either use the main router IP or your preferred DNS server. I prefer Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • DHCP should be disabled on the slave
  • Now the slave router should be connected to the master router via a LAN port not the WAN port. I forget if DD-WRT allows bridging the WAN port. Using the LAN makes life easier.
  • They should have the exact same SSID, Network Key (password) and encryption type (preferably both will be WPA2 + AES only not WPA/WPA2)
  • I'd just leave the channels on Auto.
  • Use a different SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I also set 5Ghz to 802.11AC only. Let all the older stuff connect to 2.4Ghz and leave 5Ghz wide open for high speed 802.11ac devices.

Solution
Probably just repeating what ^he says on rapid summary:

1. Don't need to mess with channel, this is usually automatic.
  2. DISABLE DHCP ON AP.
  3. Main router DHCP should use dynamic range 1-232, leave 233-254 for static. Configure AP for 253 fine, CANNOT USE 255.
  4. Can use same SSID as long as there is NO OVERLAP signal between the 2 routers.
That's it!

kanewolf

Titan
Seamless routing, especially with home network equipment from different manufacturers is hit-or-miss. The choice of WIFI source is controlled by your client device. If you can tune the WIFI power of the two devices, you might be able to get good roaming. But there is no guarantee.

bubbabr

Prominent
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I sort of got it set up, but connection kept dropping. In the end opted for a different SSID. So if home networking with overlapping routers from different manufacturers is an issue, some sort of mesh network is the way to go?

To avoid overlap, u can move routers further apart if possible, or some routers let you tweak the signal strength. Personally don't know anything about mesh, just going by long time member's preference here sounds like lots money, little benefit.