Question Setting up secure file sharing between PC and Mac ?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I want to share files between a PC running Windows 10 and other computers/devices in my home network only.

Somebody suggested going to Network & Internet. Then, the Advanced sharing settings. Next, turn on "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on file and printer sharing".

Is this the proper way to do it?

If I do that, will people outside home be able to discover my PC and access it?

Ralston18

Titan
Start here (Microsoft link):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

Begin by creating a single shared folder on one computer.

Then grant access to that shared folder to one other network computer.

Just use test data in the folders for the time being. Easier to delete folders, configurations, etc. if a "do over" is needed.

Do be sure that all real data is (as should always be being done) is backed up.

Once you have successfully created the share between the host computer and the chosen network computer then repeat the process and configuration for other network computers.

Very unlikely that anyone will be able to gain access from outside of your network. That would require that you specifically allow doing so.

And you can create blocks via the router and individual computers.

Caveat being some already existing vulnerabilities. An open wireless network for example.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I physically connected a PC to a Mac via an ethernet cable. I disabled Wifi on the PC and enable the ethernet adapter. However, from my Mac, I cannot connect to the PC via smb. Am I supposed to change some settings in Windows and MacOS? Please let me know what to enter. Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
I do not have a Mac so cannot vouch for such links or other related information.

And a direct connection is an "ad hoc" network

Are there any error codes, messages, or pop-up Windows when smb connection attempt to the PC fails?

Finder and/or Migration Assistant?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/connect-to-a-windows-computer-from-a-mac-mchlp1660/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Connectivity: What cable and ports are you using to connect Mac and PC?

Ensure that, as applicable, the correct ports are enabled and a known working cable is being used for the physical connection.

There may well be some necessary configuration changes. Most likely you will need the applicable login name and passwords in order to make those changes.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I don't recall seeing error code.

I use a CAT 6 cable to connect the ethernet ports of Mac and PC.

In the video, the guy set 192.168.1.10 as IP address and 255.255.255.0 as Subnet mask. How did he determine those values? Since anybody can watch this video, if I use the same IP address and Subnet mask, am I opening the possibility for somebody to hack into my system?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxsQ4I1Tlk

USAFRet

Titan
I don't recall seeing error code.

I use a CAT 6 cable to connect the ethernet ports of Mac and PC.

In the video, the guy set 192.168.1.10 as IP address and 255.255.255.0 as Subnet mask. How did he determine those values? Since anybody can watch this video, if I use the same IP address and Subnet mask, am I opening the possibility for somebody to hack into my system?
Why are you trying to do this the hard way?

Have them both connected to the same router. Either WiFi or wired.
Shared folders.
Done.

Or better yet, the NAS you've been talking about.
Data that lives in my NAS is readily sharable between all systems. Android, phone, Windows PCs (I don't have a Mac).

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Things are getting complicated.

Router is in another room. Running wires between rooms is not feasible as I am living with other people moving around. Connecting the PC and the Mac each via WiFi and then transfer big files in between is slow.

I was going to order a Synology NAS but when I checked their compatibility list, I found that Synology only lists their own SSD products to be compatible. Then, I read that they are increasingly trying to make people to buy their components by limiting some functions in their DSM when 3rd party components are detected.

Since my PC is not very stable and I need a Mac for work, I am considering the possibility to use a Mac with a DAS as a file server NAS.

Any other good approach besides buying/building a NAS?

USAFRet

Titan
Things are getting complicated.

Router is in another room. Running wires between rooms is not feasible as I am living with other people moving around. Connecting the PC and the Mac each via WiFi and then transfer big files in between is slow.

I was going to order a Synology NAS but when I checked their compatibility list, I found that Synology only lists their own SSD products to be compatible. Then, I read that they are increasingly trying to make people to buy their components by limiting some functions in their DSM when 3rd party components are detected.

Since my PC is not very stable and I need a Mac for work, I am considering the possibility to use a Mac with a DAS as a file server NAS.

Any other good approach besides buying/building a NAS?
My 6 year old QNAP has Toshiba and Seagate drives in it, HDD and SSD.
In the past, WD as well.

What specific Synology are you looking at?
" Then, I read that ..." Read where?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
923+. In previous generations of 923+ and 1522+, they had 3rd party SSD listed in the compatibility list. As for HDDs, they list specific firmware versions. There is no way to know the firmware versions before opening the box. It is not practical to buy, test and return continuously until I get one with the firmware version that is listed as compatible. Their practice of locking features and displaying warning messages continuously in DSM drove me away.

Synology NAS And Hard Drive Compatibility In 2022 – Should I Be Worried? - YouTube

USAFRet

Titan
So if I only allow software upgrade and disable access to the NAS from outside the home network, then I don't need to worry about ransomware?
Ransomware and most other malware generally comes in from something YOU do.

[email} "Hey dude....check out this pic" Click, infected.

"Here's a free version of Photoshop!" Click, infected.

"Here's a copy of the invoice from the Finster account". Click, infected.

"Your Citibank account is showing suspicious activity. Click here to verify" Click, infected.