Question Setting up the TV/Raspberry Pi sound chain

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
So I need to set the sound chain around my TV properly - and it’s a tricky one:

I want to run music and games from my RASPBERRY PI 4, connected to a USB SOUND CARD. The main audio out is the SOUNDBAR attached to the TV.

The TV is being used basically as a monitor, there’s no cable and I want to keep it this way. I need it as a video out for my Pi 4 and as a movie player (from a USB drive).

The problem is, if I connect a USB drive directly to the TV to watch a movie, I’m bypassing the USB sound card, which is attached to a Pi 4 earlier in the chain. How to make it work? Can I use a USB sound card as both main audio outputs for the Pi 4 and TV?

Please keep in mind that I still want the sound to reach me via the soundbar. So:

Raspberry Pi4/USB Sound Card > TV > Soundbar

or:

1. Raspberry Pi4/USB Sound Card > TV > Soundbar
  2. USB drive > TV > USB Sound Card > Soundbar
or, I don’t know, maybe bypass the TV soundwise and attach the sound card straight to the soundbar, placing it fuhrer down within the chain?

Help!

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I just figured that RPi is going to sound terribly on it’s own, and the soundbar as an audio out is only going to amplify the effect. You’re saying that a sound card is not needed in this setup?

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
HDMI already puts out audio info but is in digital form, so ur soundbar needs to have HDMI IN/OUT to take advantage of this feature, otherwise you are stuck with the un-ideal USB sound dongle.

Well, the soundbar has an HDMI in. The problem is that the TV has no HDMI out. And I need to include the TV within the chain as a monitor.