[SOLVED] Setting up Wireless mesh network

Oct 4, 2021
Hello,
Im setting up wifi in house and i dont have any routers yet but im looking to get mesh pack with 3 routers but i saw that only the main one is plugged on wan others connect through wifi.
Is there maybe any other way to get the best wifi results on wifi and at the same time without compromising any speed or changing wifi when i walk around it. I can wire every mesh or router with ethernet cable and connect it directly to modem.

Solution
Hello,
Im setting up wifi in house and i dont have any routers yet but im looking to get mesh pack with 3 routers but i saw that only the main one is plugged on wan others connect through wifi.
Is there maybe any other way to get the best wifi results on wifi and at the same time without compromising any speed or changing wifi when i walk around it. I can wire every mesh or router with ethernet cable and connect it directly to modem.
You have to look at the specific mesh system. Some of them allow wired "backhaul". The other option is to get multiple WIFI access points. Ubiquiti UniFI system us an example of an access point ecosystem that has a single dashboard for management and control.
The behavior you want is called...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the MESH WiFi router you're looking at? You don't need to tether each device with an Ethernet cable, they're good as is wirelessly connected. In fact, how big is your house? One floor or multiple floors?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
You have to look at the specific mesh system. Some of them allow wired "backhaul". The other option is to get multiple WIFI access points. Ubiquiti UniFI system us an example of an access point ecosystem that has a single dashboard for management and control.
The behavior you want is called "seamless roaming". It is NOT guaranteed in any home WIFI. WIFI was not originally designed to support this. There have been extensions to the original standards to improve the probabilities of seamless roaming. But the decision on what WIFI source a device connects is completely up to the device.

Solution
Oct 4, 2021
Its one flor but its pretty long(40 meters) and the walls are quite thick so i think 2 routers wouldn’t be enough.TP-Link Mesh sistem DECO M4 AC1200 and this is what i am looking at

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Its one flor but its pretty long(40 meters) and the walls are quite thick so i think 2 routers wouldn’t be enough.TP-Link Mesh sistem DECO M4 AC1200 and this is what i am looking at
The type of wall is just as important as thickness. If you have concrete block walls, WIFI just won't penetrate. I have a 1900 sq ft (175 sq meters) and have three UniFI access points.
You should START with an access point in each room that has multiple WIFI devices. This might be master suite, living room, kids room, and kitchen/dining. I have an AP in my garage to cover the garage and driveway.

Oct 4, 2021
It’s concrete wall yes, i was thinking the start where signal strength and speed is more important(living room), and then one in the middle and in the end of the house and also is there a big hit on speed it there will be atleast 5 devices always connected with phone and laptop?( smart light switch,…)
What would you suggest i get the mesh set 3 pack or if there is maybe better solution? And also if its better to look for wifi 6 with that usage or it doesn’t matter that much

kanewolf

Titan
It’s concrete wall yes, i was thinking the start where signal strength and speed is more important(living room), and then one in the middle and in the end of the house and also is there a big hit on speed it there will be atleast 5 devices always connected with phone and laptop?( smart light switch,…)
What would you suggest i get the mesh set 3 pack or if there is maybe better solution? And also if its better to look for wifi 6 with that usage or it doesn’t matter that much
With concrete walls, you might want to consider a WIFI source in EVERY isolated room. Ubiquiti makes "in wall" APs -- https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-in-wall-hd
These use a standard wall box, and you get wired ethernet ports. Concrete walls also make the probability of seamless roaming lower, because it is more likely that signal with drop very quickly.
The biggest thing you need to understand is TUNING WIFI when you have multiple WIFI sources. It is not just plug-and-play. You need to look at the signal from the various sources and tune the transmit power on each one to minimize the overlap.