[SOLVED] Settings? Device Manager and Network Adapter/Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
I recently noticed in the device manager when you klick view theres an option to show hidden devices.
Once i activated that a few things appeared, one of them named software components.
As you can see on the screenshot below i have tree different entries there.
1 general software component
2 intel dynamic application loader interface
3 intel iCLS client

What are those tree things exactly and what do they do and why do i need them?
Is there a reason i should disable those things and what would that reason be?
I mean, i have an intel CPU and the chipset so it might be legit ofcourse but the general thing what is that? maybe microsoft?

Next question, on the seccond screenshot you see my networkadapter / ethernet settings.
I never payed attention to those options and im totally blank now what those settings do.
Can anyone explain what exactly every single of those settings do and if i should turn some of them off or on and why?
Otherwise if you can share a link with me, officialy from microsoft explaining the settings in detail that would be good too.
But i doupt microsoft has a indepth explenation for this. Perhaps youtube does.

The third screenshot shows the menu that opens when i klick on properties and then advanced.
By default this setting is disabled but there is a whole list of options there, what do they do and should i use any of those?

Screenshots:
https://i.ibb.co/qrpsDg1/hw1.png
https://i.ibb.co/KL9KsTn/Unbenannt.png

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Solution
I noticed that, the things is this descriptions are VERY short and give no detailed explenation what the setting really does. And if i get to understand those very short explenations, i still have no clue what they mean.

For example the first setting under properties:
Client for microsoft networks
Grants your PC access to resourcess in a microsoft network.

So what does this tell me? My PC can access ms networks, ok and now what, do i need this or not? Why?
It does exactly what it says it does -- it allows your PC to connect to other Windows PCs on a local area network. Without it you cannot do file and printer sharing for example. Obviously, if you have only one computer with no networked devices this is not something that...

RealBeast

Titan
Those are hidden for a reason -- so that users do not screw with the files. While there are rare occasions to use the hidden files to remove non-plug and play devices (as unattached devices show up in the hidden view), you should not remove anything else unless you know exactly what it is and does.

The Intel iCLS client is a good example, it is the backup of a system file that runs in the background. Remove it and your next post will soon be how to repair your system.

A good rule of thumb is -- if you don't know exactly what something is don't touch it. And being hidden helps reduce that problem, similar to the way some system files are hidden.

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Those are hidden for a reason -- so that users do not screw with the files. While there are rare occasions to use the hidden files to remove non-plug and play devices (as unattached devices show up in the hidden view), you should not remove anything else unless you know exactly what it is and does.

The Intel iCLS client is a good example, it is the backup of a system file that runs in the background. Remove it and your next post will soon be how to repair your system.

A good rule of thumb is -- if you don't know exactly what something is don't touch it. And being hidden helps reduce that problem, similar to the way some system files are hidden.

Thats why im here... to find out what those options and settings mean and what exactly they do.
I wasnt going to mofidy the iCLS client in any way since its intel but the "general software component, what is this supposed to be?
If the device manager itself would include an explenation i wouldnt have to ask here...

So again, im here to get help understanding those settings, what they do exactly.
Once i know what they are then and only then i will decide if i will modify any settins or not.

My main reason to create this thread where those settings from networkadapter / ethernet.
https://i.ibb.co/k526mbC/hw2.png

File and approval for printing for microsoft networks
Qos package plan
Internet protocol v4 tcp
Microsoft multiplex protocol for network adapters
Microsoft lldp driver
Internet protocol version 6 tcp
Answer for connection layer topology detection
EA driver for connection layer topology detection

What does each of those options do?
What will happen if i thick or unthick the checkmarks?
My system is in german so the translation might not be fully correct.

The only 2 settings i know about are internet protocol v4 and v6, could you explain the other settings?

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
You can open Ethernet properties using the network control panel, which is where you would make any changes. To get there just open control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > right click on an adapter and select properties. If you highlight each item it gives you a brief description.

Thats why im here... to find out what those options and settings mean and what exactly they do.
I wasnt going to mofidy the iCLS client in any way since its intel but the "general software component, what is this supposed to be?
If the device manager itself would include an explenation i wouldnt have to ask here...

So again, im here to get help understanding those settings, what they do exactly.
Once i know what they are then and only then i will decide if i will modify any settins or not.

My main reason to create this thread where those settings from networkadapter / ethernet.
https://i.ibb.co/k526mbC/hw2.png

File and approval for printing for microsoft networks
Qos package plan
Internet protocol v4 tcp
Microsoft multiplex protocol for network adapters
Microsoft lldp driver
Internet protocol version 6 tcp
Answer for connection layer topology detection
EA driver for connection layer topology detection

What does each of those options do?
What will happen if i thick or unthick the checkmarks?
My system is in german so the translation might not be fully correct.

The only 2 settings i know about are internet protocol v4 and v6, could you explain the other settings?
We all run our machines different so what I need ticked and what you need ticked can vary.

The only thing I have checked is ipv4 nothing bad has happened.

You can plug each item into google and see if you can make any sense of it.

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
You can open Ethernet properties using the network control panel, which is where you would make any changes. To get there just open control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > right click on an adapter and select properties. If you highlight each item it gives you a brief description.

I noticed that, the things is this descriptions are VERY short and give no detailed explenation what the setting really does. And if i get to understand those very short explenations, i still have no clue what they mean.

So what does this tell me? My PC can access ms networks, ok and now what, do i need this or not? Why?

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
We all run our machines different so what I need ticked and what you need ticked can vary.

The only thing I have checked is ipv4 nothing bad has happened.

You can plug each item into google and see if you can make any sense of it.

True, we all have different hardware with different programs and settings.

I will try now to unthick everything expect ipv6 and ipv4 and Qos.

Yeah hey i will go ahead and plug each item in my webbrowser which is firefox with the search engine duckduckgo.
People still using google or using google as the common word for webbrwoser.....

RealBeast

Titan

It does exactly what it says it does -- it allows your PC to connect to other Windows PCs on a local area network. Without it you cannot do file and printer sharing for example. Obviously, if you have only one computer with no networked devices this is not something that you need.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS