[SOLVED] Settings on a new PC Build

boostinu13

Commendable
May 14, 2021
Hello,

Not sure what exact forum or topic this would go under but please point me in the right direction or if I am here.. Hi!

Basically I built my first PC ever coming from a console for 20 years. I do want the best gaming experience . Ever video I have watched and everything I read say that once you build a PC you should go into the uefi and customise.

Thats fine! I am ready! I have no idea what to do.

So just wondering if you cant point me to a video or even better black and white tell me what to do to optimize my build. Only used for gaming. So far just payed 7 days to die, subnautica and commander and conquer remastered so not seen anything wow yet tho i love the games.

If you can help my build is
MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE
5950x
MSI RTX 3090 GAMING TRIO
DDR4 3600MHz CL16 1.35v 16-19-19-39

I think I should turn on the A-XMP ? two profiles but both the exact same I think.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Activate the XMP profile, if they are the same just pick the first one
Monitor your temp, check if all fans are running either DC or PWM, I usually enable smart fans too
Update your motherboard drivers, windows, graphic card and any other drivers that shows you have to update
Create partitions for your drives on windows for them to show up
Make sure you are running on 3600mhz ram in task manager after booting up the bios in XMP profile
Also, check your display monitor settings if it's running at it's maximum refresh rate, I had to set mine up to 144 as it defaulted to 60

UserTom

Commendable
Mar 4, 2019
Monitor your temp, check if all fans are running either DC or PWM, I usually enable smart fans too
Update your motherboard drivers, windows, graphic card and any other drivers that shows you have to update
Make sure you are running on 3600mhz ram in task manager after booting up the bios in XMP profile
Also, check your display monitor settings if it's running at it's maximum refresh rate, I had to set mine up to 144 as it defaulted to 60

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

boostinu13

Commendable
May 14, 2021
Thank you for your reply much appreciated.
I believe they are the same, when I change the profiles I do not see anything change so unsure but I am guessing something does.
1 - I think the Temps are ok now they are all just on the Fan_# headers. Smart fans, will look at that I think I saw that in bios with it on
2 - Motherboard all updated (the cpu didnt work with the motherboard without doing it that took a while to do) I think all the drivers are up to date which is good. I think they are all updated. When I go to AMD it doesn't just let me update driver it says I Have to get the software same with my motherboard
3 - I only have 1 m.2 thats boot and storage as its just games I did not touch it.
4 - WOW with XMP off I went into task manager performance and it said Speed was 2133 Mhz at 1.212v and then XMP went up to 3600Mhz at 13364V 2133 to 3600 seems like a big change.
5 - Yea I change the refresh in windows setting. Had an issue as using a Odyssey G7 and 144 was fine but 240hz kept cutting out. Turns out my cable was bad (2 brand new cables that said they did 240hz didn't work).

UserTom

Commendable
Mar 4, 2019
Your build is quite recent and shouldn't require that much updates, atleast drivers shouldn't be seperated years apart
Then if you wanna do some light overclocking with MSI afterburner but idk if its necessary in your case or even at all nowadays
I use HWMonitor to monitor my CPU/GPU temperature, clock speed and utilisation. You could try that
If you're new to PC I'd watch a video of Jayztwocents; maybe you'll relate to some points https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...=-KwP1oFN9iE&usg=AOvVaw2wypdEqwP-_pIpQNGFCMcs

Reactions: boostinu13