Question Settings on my Pentax K-50 for shooting a total solar eclipse ?

Blackink

Distinguished
We have a total solar eclipse that will be viewable here in Central-Northern Vermont on April 8th.
I'm fairly new to this Pentax K-50 camera so I'm asking for advice as to what would be the best settings, and there are many of them, to take pictures of the eclipse, or the best settings should I decide to record it?
I think the recording time is only like 20 minutes before it stops and I'd have to start it up again. maybe pictures would be best?

I have a tripod to set it on for stability.
I have 2 lenses for this camera: 18-55mm and 50-200mm
Not sure which one of these lenses will work best.

If the weather holds out, I will have a direct view of this, once in my lifetime, solar eclipse from my house.
I'd appreciate what others would suggest to get quality photos or videos of this event.

The time it should be at its peak (?) is around 3pm.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
We have a total solar eclipse that will be viewable here in Central-Northern Vermont on April 8th.
I'm fairly new to this Pentax K-50 camera so I'm asking for advice as to what would be the best settings, and there are many of them, to take pictures of the eclipse, or the best settings should I decide to record it?
I think the recording time is only like 20 minutes before it stops and I'd have to start it up again. maybe pictures would be best?

If the weather holds out, I will have a direct view of this, once in my lifetime, solar eclipse from my house.
I'd appreciate what others would suggest to get quality photos or videos of this event.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont
Get a solar filter. Then you can meter normally.

USAFRet

Titan
For the lenses, the 200mm.

This is from the partial eclipse in 2017 here in VA, from my Fuji X-T1 50-230mm zoom.
wi1Y0H8.jpeg

I did too much of a time lapse, and there is a tiny melted portion on the surround outside the sensor square.

Doesn't affect pics any, but....

NASA approved filter on the lens.

Reactions: Order 66

Blackink

Distinguished
Thanks for the replies.
I never would have thought of a solar filter! Thanks!!

USAFRet....you mention a good quality filter.
I'm seeing filters with a price range of around $40 - $100/$150.
You would recommend the more expensive filters?

I have no idea what would be safe to use and what would work for my needs.

Thanks,
Steve

USAFRet

Titan

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the replies.
I never would have thought of a solar filter! Thanks!!

USAFRet....you mention a good quality filter.
I'm seeing filters with a price range of around $40 - $100/$150.
You would recommend the more expensive filters?

I have no idea what would be safe to use and what would work for my needs.

Thanks,
Steve
This is one of the suppliers recommended on @USAFRet link above -- https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/viewers-filters#optics
https://seymoursolar.com/
Safest thing is to buy from one of the American suppliers like Seymour Solar. Expect to pay around $100 for a filter.
https://seymoursolar.com/products/h...solar-filters-threaded?variant=44689369792805

Blackink

Distinguished
Funny your friend suggested the K & F filters, I came across those last night while doing some research on what I would need.
I wasn't sure how well they would work with such an inexpensive price tag compared to some others I have looked at but if your friend is a professional photographer, I'd feel comfortable with their suggestion.

Could you do me a favor and ask your friend about these 2 filters I have that came with lenses for the camera? Maybe they would work?
I pulled them up on the pro master Web site but didn't see anything that told me specifically that they're for solar protection.
pro master 49mm-UV code 4278 for the 50-200mm lens
pro master 52mm-UV code 4285 for the 18-55mm lens.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

kanewolf

Titan
I wasn't sure how well they would work with such an inexpensive price tag compared to some others I have looked at but if your friend is a professional photographer, I'd feel comfortable with their suggestion.
A professional photographer can still damage their sight. That, IMO, is not why you choose something to protect you from going blind. The ISO certification is what I rely on. That is what you get from the American made much more expensive devices.

USAFRet

Titan
Funny your friend suggested the K & F filters, I came across those last night while doing some research on what I would need.

Could you do me a favor and ask your friend about these 2 filters I have that came with lenses for the camera? Maybe they would work?
I pulled them up on the pro master Web site but didn't see anything that told me specifically that they're for solar protection.
pro master 49mm-UV code 4278 for the 50-200mm lens
pro master 52mm-UV code 4285 for the 18-55mm lens.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve
The filters that came with the camera?
No.
Those are standard UV filters.

And he is a person I've known for over 50 years, so pretty sure he wouldn't steer me wrong.

Blackink

Distinguished
OK USAFRet, I've purchased the 49mm K&F filter you and your buddy recommended. I put it on the 50-200mm lens and actually took a few pictures today. We have FULL sun today and that's a rarity here in Central Vermont lately!!! Gave me a chance to see how it looks. They weren't perfect so I need to learn more about the long exposure settings and bracketed exposure, shutter speed, things like that (all new to me) but I could see the sun (slight orange tint) on the live view screen when I took the pictures.

I also purchased 2 sheets of Thousand Oaks Optical 6"x6" Solar Filter Sheet from Amazon. I made a box for my 15 x 56 Vortex binoculars with a piece of that solar sheet, looks great!! There's a nice large image of the sun (slight orange tint) and I made another box for my 10 x 50 Vortex binocs (see here). I get a much larger image of the sun than what I saw/took through my K-50 camera.

I also used some of that Thousand Oaks solar sheet for some 3D glasses I had here. I took the material/film that was in them out from the eye pieces and put in two 1" x 1 1/2" pieces of that solar sheet film. That also looks great looking at the sun today (slight orange tint).

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll continue reading up on some settings on my camera for the solar eclipse and I'll continue to practice taking some pictures so hopefully, by the time April 8th arrives with clear skies, I'll be in great shape to get some good pics.

Much appreciated,
Steve in Central Vermont

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

The time it should be at its peak (?) is around 3pm.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont
For my Nikon D500 I would use a solar filter on my 200-500mm
5.6 lens.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Don't I wish I had one that strong of a magnification!!!!
You should get a good view with that lens.
Let's hope for clear skies that day!!!
Takes nice shots of the Moon. Taken shots of a lunar ellipse that turned out pretty well. Like you, I hope it is a clear day. Lens and camera combo are great for sports, motor sports and wild life.