"Setup.exe" for Gateway

Does anyone have a "Setup.exe" that will start a 98 install from the
"Windows\options\cabs" folder on my Gatway? I tried a "Setup.exe" file from
a regular Windows 98 SE disk but nothing happened.

Isn't there a SETUP.EXE among the cabs? If not, copy SETUP.EXE to the CABS
folder and try.

BTW, the Windows 98 CABs and other files on the hard drive may well be Windows
98 First Edition. Less desirable, more limitations than Win 98SE... Ben Myers

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 02:30:04 GMT, "Proudtower" <pkatz15@comcast.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have a "Setup.exe" that will start a 98 install from the
>"Windows\options\cabs" folder on my Gatway? I tried a "Setup.exe" file from
>a regular Windows 98 SE disk but nothing happened.

Very good point! I'll just copy my cabs to a "Win98" folder and reload from
there.

Create a new directory called CABS , if there is an old one rename it
or deltree it if it has the old cab files. Copy the entire \win98
directory into CABS and if you have not formatted, at least make sure
you get rid of the old io.sys, command.com and other Windows files
then run setup.exe. If you have just formatted you can save time with
the /IS (Ignore Scandisk) switch.

This is not GW Specific, but common to all Win 98. 98 SE is generally
better but does have shutdown issues 98 doesnt-FYI. There are patches
of varying effectiveness, but some configurations are unfixable with
all patches. You live with it or downgrade to 98 or sidegrade to 2K or
(yeeccchh) ME.