[SOLVED] Setup Help Request

May 23, 2021
Hey guys and gals I was wondering if you could help me out as i see you have had a similar question before and did a wonderful job helping.

My set up.. (figured id give as much info as i can)

MOBO - Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero
GPU - Rtx 3080
CPU - intel 11900k
Case - Phantek enthoo 719
PSU - Haven’t Decided yet
Fans -
3 Noctua 140 fans exhausting a Radiator TOP
1 Noctua 140 fans pure exhaust BACK
3 Noctua 120 Fans inflow BOTTOM
4 Noctua 120 fans exhaust a Radiator SIDE
RGB stuff -
ARGB 4 X Lux 140 Digital frames
ARGB 3 X Lux 120 Digital frames
RGB from EKWB FLT240Res/D5 pump
RGB from EKWB Velocity CPU water block
ARGB from EKWB GPU frontplate water block
ARGB from EKWB GPU active backplate water block

My question is how would you set up the power for the ARGB/RGB I’ve done the math on the Amperage but my problems still are many..

1. The Silverstone hub/splitter thingy… has all 4 pin connections… how would i use this for the A-RGB which are 3 pins?
  2. Should i connect the non addressable RGB connections from the pump and CPU block straight to MOBO
  3. I have 4 way splitter connecting some fans and they (combined) are under the amperage max of the connections on the mobo but do come with their own molex power connection should i hook that up or just connect to mobo?
  4. The Case apparently has its own RGB?ARGB? where should this go ?
  5. The case also has its own hub but i have no idea how to use it.. Should i be using this?
  6. Previously you said Lux digital frames are 0.6Amps but the paper insert in the box says 1Amp any idea which is correct as this could make a big difference..
Basically i have the 11 fans all linked into groups with either 3 or 4 way connectors into three seperate groups that can connect directly to MOBO…. i believe so i think I’m set for my fans.?
However I’m having a helluva time figuring out how to set up all the RGB /ARGB. Would really really really appreciate any help. This is my main issue..

Also what PSU would you recommend.. After everyone i pick, once i read the reviews they all seem to have blow someones system to hell… Corsair, bequiet etc all have a few instances of this… id rather spend a little more and not blow up everything anyone know the safest/best psu out there?

Thank you in advance and just so you don't think I'm a lazy douche i spent many many hours working on this doing research and calculating amperages and reading forums before reaching out. I respect and appreciate all of your time and expertise.

Thanks again.

Just to add a little more after doing the math i figured i should include the Amp math i have done thus far..

Rgb
Fans / lux
Bottom = 1.8Amps
Top/back = 2.4 Amps
Gpu top = 0.61Amps
Gpu Backplate =0.32Amps
CPU =0.67Amps
Res/Pump 0.78Amps
Total draw = 6.58 Amps

Total Amps per mobo connection =3Amps
Total A-RGB connections on mobo = 3 so total of 9 Amps so at least I'm under that...

Set up per ARGB mobo connection
1 = 2.4 Amps
Top/back = 2.4 Amps

2 = 1.8 + 0.32 = 2.12Amps
Gpu Backplate =0.32 + Bottom = 1.8Amps

3 = 0.61 + 0.67 + 0.78 = 2.06Amps
Gpu top = 0.61 + CPU =0.67 + Res/Pump 0.78Amps

but now I'm thinking i forgot some of these aren't ARGB and are just RGB so basically its all a mess... Help! :)

Solution
The Silverstone hub/splitter thingy… has all 4 pin connections… how would i use this for the A-RGB which are 3 pins?
you cannot.
mixing 3pin(aRGB) & 4pin(RGB) cables and headers will almost always end in damaged components.
whether it's the LEDs, the header, or something more detrimental.

you should probably just find an aRGB hub if you don't have proper headers to support them all.

why are you so concerned about the power draw by the RGB lights?
even having multiple strips and fans connected to a couple hubs using SATA power connectors shouldn't even make a difference power-wise on the draw from your PSU.
I have 4 way splitter connecting some fans and they (combined) are under the amperage max of the connections on the mobo...
The Silverstone hub/splitter thingy… has all 4 pin connections… how would i use this for the A-RGB which are 3 pins?
you cannot.
mixing 3pin(aRGB) & 4pin(RGB) cables and headers will almost always end in damaged components.
whether it's the LEDs, the header, or something more detrimental.

you should probably just find an aRGB hub if you don't have proper headers to support them all.

why are you so concerned about the power draw by the RGB lights?
even having multiple strips and fans connected to a couple hubs using SATA power connectors shouldn't even make a difference power-wise on the draw from your PSU.
I have 4 way splitter connecting some fans and they (combined) are under the amperage max of the connections on the mobo but do come with their own molex power connection should i hook that up or just connect to mobo?
a powered hub will properly manage power across the connected fans.
it only uses the motherboard 4-pin header's signal to communicate to the fans what % to run at.
The Case apparently has its own RGB?ARGB? where should this go ?
that depends on how the case is setup.
a lot of cases these days just use a direct connection to the motherboard so you can create a pattern across all devices.
others have their own proprietary RGB\LED that is controlled by a switch on the front I\O panel.
and some give the option of going either way.
The case also has its own hub but i have no idea how to use it..
what type of hub? fan, RGB, or both?
i believe so i think I’m set for my fans.?
as long as they are properly doing their job.

you appear to have much more exhaust than intake though.
this can lead to VRMs and other components without active coolers getting much hotter than they should.
you should usually aim for a positive pressure inside your case with more cool air coming in than being exhausted out.
otherwise the cool air gets sucked directly out of the case without getting a chance to cool passive components.
one easy way to defeat this is to just crank the intakes up to a much higher RPM than the exhaust fans.
Also what PSU would you recommend.
the higher rated Seasonic or be quiet! models are usually very trustworthy & efficient.
my be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 stays cool, is completely silent, very efficient, and has a great warranty. has been doing awesome for almost five years now.

Solution
May 23, 2021
Thanks much for the help. Picked up an ARGB hub, hopefully will put all the RGB stuff to bed...

Another question if i may... I have Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero MOBO and picked up a Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold and it specifically states it is compatible with all intel mobos however the pinout pattern on the 8 pin eps cables does not match. I contacted customer support and this is what the guy sent.. Basically it seems like he just wants me to force it in and it should be fine..... i am quite hesitant to do so.. any advice? Should i RMA and pickup a different psu?

"Dear Customer,
Thank you again for offering more details and information.
After rechecking with our technical support, he has provided the attached connector photos, corsair link and the example video for reference. You may notice that the corsair design is the same as ours.
What is the purpose of the connector design? There are several types of motherboard with different CPU sockets: some with 8+4pins while others with 8+8pins. Truly the (4+4) pins CPU connector is different from the 8pins CPU connectors. However we design this to be compatible to 8pin / 8+4pin / 8+8pin motherboards.

You may find out the attached video for reference. Both the 4pins connector is able to plug in the CPU socket because of the shape design.
Hope the explanation above can solve your question. May you help to try to plug into CPU socket on the ASUS motherboard? I believe that it will fit and compatible with your motherboard.

Best Regards,
Customer Service"

Tried adding photos but doesn't work.. basically their pattern is different then what the mobo interface accepts but i see no mention of this problem anywhere on the internet.. all i see is if you want custom cables u need to order a specific set, nothing about this not working with his mobo out of the box. Thanks for any and all assistance.