[SOLVED] Setup my router so that I can access my office VPN

Jun 30, 2020
Hi,

I live in Bulgaria and I can connect my laptop to my office VPN (which is in the UK) so that my IP appears to be in the UK. This is great because I want location-aware websites and services to assume that I'm in England.
But my TV and other things on my home network don't have the facility to install or use a VPN client.
So I was thinking it would be really great if my WiFi router (TP-Link Archer C60) could connect to the UK VPN (in the same way as my laptop does) then everything connected to the router would also appear to be in the UK.
I specifically bought this WiFi router because it said VPN on the box, but I now realise that this is just for setting up a VPN for a home network.
Is what I want possible?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Hi,

I live in Bulgaria and I can connect my laptop to my office VPN (which is in the UK) so that my IP appears to be in the UK. This is great because I want location-aware websites and services to assume that I'm in England.
But my TV and other things on my home network don't have the facility to install or use a VPN client.
So I was thinking it would be really great if my WiFi router (TP-Link Archer C60) could connect to the UK VPN (in the same way as my laptop does) then everything connected to the router would also appear to be in the UK.
I specifically bought this WiFi router because it said VPN on the box, but I now realise that this is just for setting up a VPN for a home network.
Is what I want possible?

Thanks in advance...
Do you control the vpn in the office.

Your router as you mention needs vpn "client". Without looking your router up I do not know if it has that ability. It is not real common. As pointed out above you may also need to use IPSEC which is even more uncommon on home routers. The vast majority of vpn clients you find use openvpn to connect to a vpn provider. You will have to read the details of your implementation.

Be aware many companies do not want you doing what you propose. You are putting device on their network that may compromise it. All depends on the system they are using. The fancy ones from cisco or juniper can actually ensure patch levels on pc and make sure things like virus and firewall software is running before they allow a connection. This type of vpn client will never run on a router.

Reactions: SamirD
Hi,

Is what I want possible?

Thanks in advance

You better be sure you can set up this connection and it's allowed by your work, tossing un-authorized and not monitored systems on a company network is a good way to get fired. That is step 1. If they say yes you can do this, then ask the IT dept what you need to set it up. IT security setups things up in order to prevent issues and viruses spreading to the work network, last thing they need is someone bringing in their home devices with who knows what on them into the network, you ever see those virus spreading movies when some guy decides to ignore protocol and sneaks something outside a lab then 10 minutes later 30 million people are zombies? That is a good analogy for what sticking a home TV and other devices inside a company VPN is like.

Solution