Question Severe continuous lag when gaming ?

Jun 12, 2022
Hello. In the recent past I have been experiencing severe continuous lag when gaming. It does not matter what machine is used to play the game (console or pc) and it does not matter which game (all games are affected). Given these observations, what could the problem be ? Could it be with my router ?
For instance, I factory reset my router and the lag was fixed to a considerable extent, but lag issues remained.

Not real likely it is the router especially if you factory reset it. Sometimes you get some feature accidentally set and it will put load the small cpu in the router.

The easiest way to test is to cable directly to the modem if that is a option for you. That way the router is eliminated from the connection. You need to be sure you are not testing on wifi if you can not remove the router.

Lag should show up as large spikes in the ping or packet loss. Try to leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8. This is the first step. If you see issues then you need to do ping tests to your router ip and the ISP first router. It could be issues with the internet connection coming to your house.

Be very sure you are not exceeding the bandwidth your purchase from your ISP both upload and download. If your internet is over say 100mbps it is not likely you are overloading and would tend to know something large is running.