[SOLVED] Severe lags and freezes first, then bluescreen

Oct 7, 2019
Hi all,

first a youtube video I was watching started freezing completely with audio partially moving on in intervals. PC was completely unresponsive by that time, couldn't ctrl alt del out or close firefox with alt f4.

Then I started a game (Sekiro) for testing purposes. Interestingly, game froze for some seconds on main menu but ran smoothly for some minutes afterwards until I quit it. Thought PC was fine, installed and used chrome in hopes that firefox was the culprit. Watched netflix and then the bluescreen happened.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Dzdcwgp

I have a dxdiag waiting for upload but I can't even find out how to do this here so please advice :/

Thanks in advance for any help. I guess it's my RAM but I'm open for any suggestions. No new hardware was added lately, no other major changes.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Are you able to get hold of the minidump files from the stop error (BSOD) and post them here? (upload them onto a file sharing site).
Can you please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
Is this a build that has worked fine now suddenly has this problem?

If you are unsure about the minidumps, please see here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Solution
Oct 7, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Are you able to get hold of the minidump files from the stop error (BSOD) and post them here? (upload them onto a file sharing site).
Can you please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
Is this a build that has worked fine now suddenly has this problem?

If you are unsure about the minidumps, please see here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Thanks for the warm welcome! Hm, couldn't find a dump file even though the corresponding box was checked, probably because page file is not big enougn for C:\.

Here's my dxdiag: https://gofile.io/?c=Ltqbio

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
PSU: ModXStream-Pro
Graphics Card: NVidia GTX 960

Any others specs you need that aren't included in the dxdiag file?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well a System Service Exception is usually driver based, so without the dump file it will be difficult to see what was running at the time of the crash and what the potential cause was, but usually that bug check is driver related.

Have you ensured all drivers are up to date (including MB/Chipset) and NOT using a driver updater program?
Is your BIOS up to date?
Are you running and overclock or XMP anywhere?
What wattage PSU is it (likely not related at this time but just in case)
What model RAM are you using?

Oct 7, 2019
I updated my grapics driver, installed the latest chipset driver and checked the BIOS version, I'm running one from 2010 and the latest update was in 2012, so I figured this can't be it? Also I remember deciding not to update it some time back because I read BIOS updates can go very wrong and I had no reason to take that risk.

PSU wattage is 600W and I did not overclock anything.
I'll update once I've checked what RAM I'm running, also I plan to remove the sound card that I have in my system but am not using actively because it's ancient.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also I remember deciding not to update it some time back because I read BIOS updates can go very wrong and I had no reason to take that risk.
This only happens if the BIOS becomes corrupt, like if you have a power cut during the BIOS flash for example. So it's definitely not recommended if you are having constant power cuts without a UPS in place, however it is one of the ports of call to take if you are having issues. As each BIOS tends to come with improvements and compatibility updates.

Many update their BIOS all the time (I've updated mine 3 times in the last 2 months in fact as I needed the later updates), just technically there is that risk if you do something silly, or don't have correct protections in place. But follow the instructions and it's a quick and simple task.

Oct 7, 2019
What furthers my suspicion is that I removed the RAM supposed to be faulty and since then no BSOD which should have happened already 30 to 60 mins after booting.
Thanks again for the help, this case seems to be solved :)

Reactions: PC Tailor