Question Severe Windows 10 Lag

Sep 28, 2020
Old CPU: E5800 Pentium
New CPU: Xeon X5460
Motherboard: G41T-AD
Bios Version (with microcodes): P01-B3
* The BIOS is a CMOS setup utility so it has little options, does not have anything relating to overclocking like what you would see in a modern BIOS.
Ram: 2GBx2 Kingston DDR3
GPU: AMD R9 270
Power Supply: 520W
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500

Recently I purchased a processor to upgrade my older processor from an E5800 Pentium Processor to an Xeon X5460 on my G41T-AD motherboard. I made sure the motherboard supported the processor and the bios detects the Xeon at 3.16GHZ. I attached the mod, updated bios to latest version with micro codes added, and reset the CMOS however comparing both CPUs the X5460 has a SEVERE lag when running Windows 10 installation media and even when installed will not boot past the startup logo. With the old E5800 the installation media works like a charm and Windows 10 properly boots. After testing to see if the ram was the issue and checking the power supply I can confirm the CPU is at fault. Take note that I am specifying Windows and not any other program. FreeDOS, bios, or any other software ran off the SAME USB does not receive the same lag issues as Windows 10 does. No motherboard pins are bent.

Here is some information when running the installation media off of a 16GB Sandisk Cruisor. Take note the perfectly fine USB gives different errors with the Xeon when installing at different spots because it takes so long and is incredibly laggy, I used the E5800 to install windows. The E5800 gets past boot logo and into windows while the Xeon makes the spinning dots lag then freeze about 1-2 minutes in.

X5460:
  • First boot to black screen: 53 seconds.
  • Black screen to windows logo, lagging spinning dots: 1 minute 53 seconds.
  • Windows logo to blank purple screen: 2 minutes 38 seconds.
  • Blank purple screen to opened selection screen: 4 minutes 6 seconds, barely any mouse response, about 5 second mouse input delay if any response, looks like 5 FPS.

E5800:
  • First boot to windows logo, spinning dots are smooth: 59 seconds.
  • Windows logo to immediate selection screen, no blank screens during process: 1 minute 18 seconds.

Is the Xeon defective? Do I need more ram to support the CPU? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

You might try a full/fresh reinstall of WIn10, although only 4 GB of RAM is not going to help with a smooth experience...; your existing 860 EVO SSD is fine... (Gather your needed chipset drivers for that mainboard from manufacturer's website and be sure to install them, and your GPU drivers, and, all WIndows updates...)

Sep 28, 2020
You might try a full/fresh reinstall of WIn10, although only 4 GB of RAM is not going to help with a smooth experience...; your existing 860 EVO SSD is fine... (Gather your needed chipset drivers for that mainboard from manufacturer's website and be sure to install them, and your GPU drivers, and, all WIndows updates...)
I was able to freshly install windows but when windows begins loading (the spinning dots) they freeze about 30 seconds in and never finish to boots. Windows auto repair also freezes. Why is my CPU causing it? Is this a software or hardware issue?