[SOLVED] sfc /scannow indicates errors after fresh installation and after Windows updates

Solution
Sfc /scannow have indicated that there are errors and they are successfully corrected after fresh installation of Windows 10. Yesterday I've done newest Windows updates and this tool indicated errors again. What is the cause? This is my CBS.log.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-uPYD1r83YWUd7bF00F6ddvpCQpcyHw/view?usp=sharing

The SFC command interrogates your System32 files for corruption and if any are found it will attempt a fix. If not and an attempt is unsuccessful you get a humongous unhelpful CBS LOG. I would guess it's creating corrupted files during the update to Windows11.
Doesn't surprise me considering the deluge of issues with this release.

View...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sfc /scannow have indicated that there are errors and they are successfully corrected after fresh installation of Windows 10. Yesterday I've done newest Windows updates and this tool indicated errors again. What is the cause? This is my CBS.log.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-uPYD1r83YWUd7bF00F6ddvpCQpcyHw/view?usp=sharing

The SFC command interrogates your System32 files for corruption and if any are found it will attempt a fix. If not and an attempt is unsuccessful you get a humongous unhelpful CBS LOG. I would guess it's creating corrupted files during the update to Windows11.
Doesn't surprise me considering the deluge of issues with this release.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMQYyBvTJrM

ATM it's best to create a restore point of your registry prior to any Windows update. It should be automatic.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 8, 2022
I just installed next Windows update (optional quality update) and I executed sfc /scannow again. It is result:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

I attach CBS.log
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V4ISmt0Pb1zhC1xki1wnk5KXh19032vy/view?usp=sharingWhat's

What's going on? I can't find what file is corrupted in this log. I've also written Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and this tool have not found any errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

have you run checkdisk on c drive?

open command prompt (admin)
if its an ssd type
chkdsk c: /f
if its an HDD type
chkdsk c: /f /r
and press enter.
two paragraphs will pop up, type Y and press enter to agree to running at start up
restart PC and let it run.

Both times it is fixing the problems, so there may not be one to find.
from a small browse it appears some of the windows folders had 2 owners, and that was fixed. Mostly driver folders and Start menu. I think most of its likely just corrections of windows folders and who owns them. All owners are system controlled, not You

Why are you running sfc after a patch anyway?

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
It's not unusual for sfc /scannow to report errors after a clean install. It will flag up bad shortcuts for example and similar trivial 'errors'. Scanning the CBS log for the text 'error' will quickly show up what it detected and fixed.

looked like two types of errors in your log:
first the system reported that when it set security for ownership of certain directories the call was made twice. IE in both cases the ownership was the same
so I would ignore.

The second type of error was in the clean up. At the end of the program the program wanted to moved the temp directory it created to a new location but the location was already in use. So it just deleted the temp setup directory.
Most likely because the command was run more than one time and it already moved a copy of the files to the second location. I would ignore that also.
(I would suspect these are both bugs in the program that arise from running it more than once. IE the setup should remove the temp directory before it started)

(poor testing on microsoft's part, simple test scenario: run the command twice ) log shows ownership of directories all ready set to the new owner, and back up directory already in use for the update files. simple bugs
the program moved the files to the new directory which will produce a error if the new location already has files there. doing a copy of the files would have just overwrote the old ones and produced no error. Program recovered ok by deleting the temp files.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS