Question sfc /scannow

Apr 12, 2020
So,
I basically build my first PC two days ago and already experienced every problem imaginable.
(BSOD with different error message eveytime, couldnt update drivers, random crash whithout BSOD,...)
So I tried to do the sfc /scannow thing and of course it couldnt repair the corrupt files.
Then I did some more troubleshooting and somehow magically the sfc /scannow works.
Only problem is, it keeps finding and succesfully removing corrupt files everytime I run the command.
Is that normal? And what the hell is happening to my PC...

Apr 12, 2020
What is the whole backstory on this?
What led you to the sfc?

Parts list, what you're trying to install, where everything came from....as much detail as you can.

Oh yeah, sorry

MOBO: ROG Strix B450-f Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: GTX 1600 super
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x8 Gb DDR4

Not much backstory to this. Searched my "symptoms" on google and the sfc solution kept popping up.
Also tried many other troubleshooting commands but sfc was the only one which gave me some kind of result.
And I would also like to know where everything came from because it was like this from the very beginning.

Apr 12, 2020
"Symptoms"...doing what?

Step by step, from first hitting the power button....what happened?

So, at first my system wouldnt even start but after I changed the place of the M2 SSD it worked.
Then it still wouldnt POST but after removing one RAM stick it worked and I could install windows.
Then I tried to fix the RAM problem and somehow I managed to make both sticks work (I dont know how) but I couldnt activate XMP or whatever its called on AMD.
So the system was running and I was happy and proceded to install all windows updates and the Chipset driver updates. The problems kept appearing around that time but I camt say with confidence that it was right after the driver updates.
The main problem was of course the very frequent BSOD but one major problem was also that I couldnt install the graphics card update as it kept saying 7zip CRC error. I finally managed to do that with the help of Firefox.
During all this time I tried different solutions to the BSOD problem that didnt contain downloading a software as I didnt wanted to mess up my PC even more badly. So I tried the chkdsk command which I dont know if it did anything and I tried to do a Memory Check which didnt find anything wrong and that leads me to the whole sfc story that maybe ended up temporarily fixing the problem a bit as I dont get any BSOD.

lynx1021

Distinguished
I don't trust the Windows 10 drivers for AMD, Just built a MSI B450 tomahawk, Max with a 3700X ,M2 drive. Downloaded all the drivers from MSI to a flash drive and installed windows 10 offline and as soon as it was finished I installed the MSI drivers from the flash drive before I hooked up the Ethernet cable and did the windows updates. Went smooth as silk and my memory is on MSI QVL.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Before we start: You should at least back up your important files before even pressing any other key. I don't want to alarm you, but go take a backup if you haven't yet.
Anyways, here's the commands, run these form an administrator cmd in order:
chkdsk /f /r c: This will scan your drive for bad files and sectors in the next restart. It will take long (depending on the size, 3-12 hours) and it will scan every nook and cranny of the drive. If your drive's about to fail, it'll also be most likely to give up here.
sfc /scannow You know it, scans system files
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth Dism is the servicing tool you can use to repair the files SFC repairs from. Think it as a repair tool for a repair tool. It obviously has more to it but we don't care right now
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth A bit more deep scan for the dism command. You should ideally get a "Component store is repairable" message from this
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Restores the component store (SFC uses this to replace files) to its pristine state
sfc /scannow re-run the sfc command so it can scan system files with the now-repaired component store.