SFF advice please

Thinking about building this system to replace older notebook. Use would
mostly center around still image editing, listening to music, internet &
e-mail, writing, simple games and some programming. Going to use built-in
graphics, at least for a while. Whatcha think?

MSI K8MM-ILSR mATX mobo with K8M800 Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ retail w/heatsink & fan
2 pcs Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 CT6464Z40B
Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB cache MODEL 6Y160M0
Mitsumi Black 3.5inch Floppy
Lite-On Black 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-812S
Enlight mATX MINI Tower Case SATA 250W PS Mod PM-240110
MS Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
round cables - quiet 90mm fan

<dorowell@gct21.net> wrote in message news:1087519638.633184@localhost...
> Thinking about building this system to replace older notebook. Use would
> mostly center around still image editing, listening to music, internet &
> e-mail, writing, simple games and some programming. Going to use built-in
> graphics, at least for a while. Whatcha think?
>
> MSI K8MM-ILSR mATX mobo with K8M800 Chipset
> AMD Athlon 64 2800+ retail w/heatsink & fan
> 2 pcs Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 CT6464Z40B
> Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB cache MODEL 6Y160M0
> Mitsumi Black 3.5inch Floppy
> Lite-On Black 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-812S
> Enlight mATX MINI Tower Case SATA 250W PS Mod PM-240110
> MS Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
> round cables - quiet 90mm fan

Me, I'd ditch the floppy and buy a USB flash drive instead. The small ones
are about twice the price of a floppy drive and have tons more storage
space. I don't know about that specific model of DVDRW drive, but be aware
that DUAL layer drives are on the market now, and no more expensive than the
single layer variety. -Dave

<dorowell@gct21.net> wrote in message news:1087519638.633184@localhost...
> Thinking about building this system to replace older notebook. Use would
> mostly center around still image editing, listening to music, internet &
> e-mail, writing, simple games and some programming. Going to use built-in
> graphics, at least for a while. Whatcha think?
>
> MSI K8MM-ILSR mATX mobo with K8M800 Chipset
> AMD Athlon 64 2800+ retail w/heatsink & fan
> 2 pcs Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 CT6464Z40B
> Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB cache MODEL 6Y160M0
> Mitsumi Black 3.5inch Floppy
> Lite-On Black 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-812S
> Enlight mATX MINI Tower Case SATA 250W PS Mod PM-240110
> MS Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
> round cables - quiet 90mm fan

Nitpicking:

I don't consider MINI being SFF.

The power supply leaves little room for expansion.

I don't have a floppy in my newest computer. Can boot from CD-R/RW and
they're a lot better for sharing data. Leaving it out saves power and the
ribbon cable has to block at least a little air. My case side panel slides
off and a floppy could easily be put on for a quick job. Haven't needed to
in a year.