[SOLVED] Shaking noise from CPU fan even though the screws are tightened ?

Aug 26, 2021
I have the AMD Ryzen 7 3800x CPU connected to the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING motherboard. I have lately noticed that the fan tends to shake during high speeds, I diagnosed that the screws might be loose, so I opened the desktop to tighten them up. Then, when I booted my computer to test the fan speed at max, the shaking didn't occur, but the shaking would gradually come back at the span of a week. I suppose the screws loosens little by little during high speeds, should I buy a new backplate and screws?

Last edited:
Solution
I'm using the stock fan cooler for the Ryzen series (AMD Wraith Prism) https://www.amazon.com/Wraith-Cooler-Processor-AM4-Connector/dp/B07GKRR5WR. It was included in the package when I ordered the CPU.
That is held on with metal clips that attach to two plastic 'hooks' mounted on the motherboard. Have you fully tightened the lever (it rotates to tighten) that holds them on?

Also a common problem is the screws that hold the plastic hooks to the backplate are sometimes shipped a bit loose by the motherboard mfr. So tighten them (there are two for each hook) firmly with a screwdriver.
I have the Ryzen 7 3800x CPU connected to the ROG Strix B450-F GAMING motherboard. I have lately noticed that the fan tends to shake during high speeds, I diagnosed that the screws might be loose, so I opened the desktop to tighten them up. Then, when I booted my computer to test the fan speed at max, the shaking didn't occur, but the shaking would gradually come back at the span of a week. I suppose the screws loosens little by little during high speeds, should I buy a new backplate and screws?

Is this the fan on your CPU cooler? What cooler are you using?

I'm using the stock fan cooler for the Ryzen series (AMD Wraith Prism) https://www.amazon.com/Wraith-Cooler-Processor-AM4-Connector/dp/B07GKRR5WR. It was included in the package when I ordered the CPU.
That is held on with metal clips that attach to two plastic 'hooks' mounted on the motherboard. Have you fully tightened the lever (it rotates to tighten) that holds them on?

Also a common problem is the screws that hold the plastic hooks to the backplate are sometimes shipped a bit loose by the motherboard mfr. So tighten them (there are two for each hook) firmly with a screwdriver.

Solution