Question Shapphire Nitro RX580 Crashes to Random Colour Screen While Gaming

Jul 30, 2021
PC:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M S2H
RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 3200mhz
PSU: Coller master 450w 80+ Bronze (not sure what model, a little bit old)

I recently purchased a second-hand rx580 4GB of a miner. the card arrived and would frequently crash to a rando colour screen (most commonly grey or white) and then the display would turn off. All the fans in the pc, including the GPU, would stay on, but the peripherals and monitor become unusable until I restart the pc. this would happen roughly every few hours while in idle or downloading games and roughly every 15-30min while gaming.
I managed to get a replacement card of the exact same model which had a similar problem, but would occur less often. the replacement card does not crash in idle but crashes every couple of hours while gaming to the same random colour screen. (the card did crash once while writing this)

I checked the card using GPU-Z and the core clock seems quite low and when I used the lookup tool it gave me two options for 8GB cards. I feel like this may have something to do with the card's bios but I have no clue what im doing when i comes to that stuff. i also posted this on the TechPowerUp forums with images from GPU-Z

Would be great if I could get some help to stop this problem!

It probably has a mining BIOS installed, which will have overclocked memory and tighter timings than what would be acceptable for gaming on that card and would most definitely cause the card to be unstable while gaming. You can flash the original BIOS to the card, but it may not work and may brick your card. You can force the flash if you have a second GPU to install alongside a bricked GPU. If you don't have a second GPU, it is risky. However, your Nitro+ should have a BIOS switch so you can switch to the non-bricked BIOS if something goes wrong.

Check the BIOS version and memory manufacturer with GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Be sure to check the details section of each BIOS in the TechPowerUp database to download the appropriate BIOS for your memory manufacturer (Samsung, Micron, Elpida, etc.).

Download the original BIOS: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...00000&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&since=

Install the original BIOS with ATIFlash: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Jul 30, 2021
It probably has a mining BIOS installed, which will have overclocked memory and tighter timings than what would be acceptable for gaming on that card and would most definitely cause the card to be unstable while gaming. You can flash the original BIOS to the card, but it may not work and may brick your card. You can force the flash if you have a second GPU to install alongside a bricked GPU. If you don't have a second GPU, it is risky. However, your Nitro+ should have a BIOS switch so you can switch to the non-bricked BIOS if something goes wrong.

Check the BIOS version and memory manufacturer with GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Be sure to check the details section of each BIOS in the TechPowerUp database to download the appropriate BIOS for your memory manufacturer (Samsung, Micron, Elpida, etc.).

Download the original BIOS: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...00000&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&since=

Install the original BIOS with ATIFlash: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/
i think ill flash the bios to the silent mode of the bios switch bc my mobo is matx and i cant fit any other gpu. whish bois fro the list is the best one for the card?

i think ill flash the bios to the silent mode of the bios switch bc my mobo is matx and i cant fit any other gpu. whish bois fro the list is the best one for the card?
You have to find out (with GPU-Z) which memory you have (Samusng, Elpida, Micron, or Hynix). Hynix and Elpida seem to be able to use the same BIOS.

Samsung uses the BIOS listed with 2000 mem boost. Elpida/Hynix uses the BIOS listed with 1750 mem boost. Disregard the two BIOS at the bottom for the PULSE edition. The rest are for the Nitro+

Also, you will have to choose which core clock you want since you don't actually know. Well, you could look at the SKU/Model number on the sticker on the back of the GPU to look it up online and see what core/mem clocks it originally came with.

Jul 30, 2021
You have to find out (with GPU-Z) which memory you have (Samusng, Elpida, Micron, or Hynix). Hynix and Elpida seem to be able to use the same BIOS.

Samsung uses the BIOS listed with 2000 mem boost. Elpida/Hynix uses the BIOS listed with 1750 mem boost. Disregard the two BIOS at the bottom for the PULSE edition. The rest are for the Nitro+

Also, you will have to choose which core clock you want since you don't actually know. Well, you could look at the SKU/Model number on the sticker on the back of the GPU to look it up online and see what core/mem clocks it originally came with.
says elpida next to the gddr5 on gpu-z so i am assuming thats it.
does the core clock matter? if not i will just use the 1340 one

says elpida next to the gddr5 on gpu-z so i am assuming thats it.
does the core clock matter? if not i will just use the 1340 one
I'm thinking that the core clock depended on the testing at the factory and the more stable chips got 1411MHz core clock and the less stable ones got 1340. So, I would try 1340 first. If it's stable then use it or if you want try 1411 do that. Either way, shouldn't be much difference in performance as long as it's stable.

Jul 30, 2021
I'm thinking that the core clock depended on the testing at the factory and the more stable chips got 1411MHz core clock and the less stable ones got 1340. So, I would try 1340 first. If it's stable then use it or if you want try 1411 do that. Either way, shouldn't be much difference in performance as long as it's stable.
yea ill prob just do 1340, not too woried about a smaal bit of performance.
also, when i flash the bios do i need to do a full pc reset?