Share folders on NT server

I have a small network which is still running NT server and am having some
difficulty sharing a folder. Here is my situation. Have two pcs running
WinNT 4.0. One is running Win2000. Have added another which is running
WinXPsp2. I would like to make a folder that is hosted on xp machine and all
others would have icon on their desktop in which to drop documents for
approval by XP user. Have created the folder on the xp machine and browsed
to it using network neighborhood on NT machines, all looks good but
permission is denied. Have set permissions on xp hosted folder to allow full
controll by everyone, still no luck. When I go to the Win2000 pc, it works
just as simple as it should. Created desktop icon and user can drag drop
into it as I want. I have gone back to the NT machines and tried completing
the share when logged on as the admin. Still no luck, I am continually
denied access. Please advise.

I am not creating this share on the server as there is such a small
hardrive on the server it is laughable, (.6 gig) and yes I'm upgrading soon,
but need this now!

You'll want to create an account (in User Accounts) on the WinXP machine
with the username and password that you use to logon to the Windows NT
machine with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s) with permissions
for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the same workgroup and
on the same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
(Inter-process communication)

In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
access will be denied.

Also turn off the XP firewall and enable NetBIOS over tcp/ip on XP machine.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Howie J." wrote:
|I have a small network which is still running NT server and am having some
| difficulty sharing a folder. Here is my situation. Have two pcs running
| WinNT 4.0. One is running Win2000. Have added another which is running
| WinXPsp2. I would like to make a folder that is hosted on xp machine and
all
| others would have icon on their desktop in which to drop documents for
| approval by XP user. Have created the folder on the xp machine and
browsed
| to it using network neighborhood on NT machines, all looks good but
| permission is denied. Have set permissions on xp hosted folder to allow
full
| controll by everyone, still no luck. When I go to the Win2000 pc, it
works
| just as simple as it should. Created desktop icon and user can drag drop
| into it as I want. I have gone back to the NT machines and tried
completing
| the share when logged on as the admin. Still no luck, I am continually
| denied access. Please advise.
|
| I am not creating this share on the server as there is such a small
| hardrive on the server it is laughable, (.6 gig) and yes I'm upgrading
soon,
| but need this now!

Dave, YOU ROCK!!

Thanks for responding. I was now able to share the folder successfully.
Dave I still have a question regarding the share. After adding the user
names/accounts to the xp machine, I added them via the "permissions" window.
Do I also need to add them via the "Security" tab? I did so when I granted
permissions. Is there a problem with doing this? Did I need to? What is
the difference between permissions and security in this instance?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll want to create an account (in User Accounts) on the WinXP machine
> with the username and password that you use to logon to the Windows NT
> machine with. Then you'll need to share out the resource(s) with permissions
> for those users. Also make sure they're all part of the same workgroup and
> on the same subnet. Then you'll no longer be prompted for the IPC$ password
> (Inter-process communication)
>
> In a peer level workgroup, when you try to access resources on a Windows
> NT/2000/XP/2003 machine, Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 needs to authenticate the
> user. If the user account doesn't exist in it's local account database, then
> access will be denied.
>
> Also turn off the XP firewall and enable NetBIOS over tcp/ip on XP machine.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Howie J." wrote:
> |I have a small network which is still running NT server and am having some
> | difficulty sharing a folder. Here is my situation. Have two pcs running
> | WinNT 4.0. One is running Win2000. Have added another which is running
> | WinXPsp2. I would like to make a folder that is hosted on xp machine and
> all
> | others would have icon on their desktop in which to drop documents for
> | approval by XP user. Have created the folder on the xp machine and
> browsed
> | to it using network neighborhood on NT machines, all looks good but
> | permission is denied. Have set permissions on xp hosted folder to allow
> full
> | controll by everyone, still no luck. When I go to the Win2000 pc, it
> works
> | just as simple as it should. Created desktop icon and user can drag drop
> | into it as I want. I have gone back to the NT machines and tried
> completing
> | the share when logged on as the admin. Still no luck, I am continually
> | denied access. Please advise.
> |
> | I am not creating this share on the server as there is such a small
> | hardrive on the server it is laughable, (.6 gig) and yes I'm upgrading
> soon,
> | but need this now!

Sharing|Permissions sets perms on the share only whereas setting via the
Security tab sets NTFS perms on the object itself. The perms on the object
would carry though to the share as well.