Share internet from one computer via access point or router? Enable lan based remote control?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,
So I have a beefy desktop computer which has a wireless connection to my internet.
What I want to do is connect my laptop wireless to this computer and then use this computers internet access. Why I want to share the desktop internet connection is because I want to use steams in home streaming service. But at the same time be able to access the internet on the laptop.
I cant go through the primary router because the signal isnt available in the room where I want to use the laptop. A lan cable is present in the room next to it (though that room is being used for other purpose so cant shift my desk there, but can use the lan with a router or access.point)
Is there a way to directly connect the desktop to an access point or a router, and share the desktop internet with the laptop that is wirelessly connected to it?
Thanks for helping out :)

I see 3 solutions here.

1. Buy a new router and set it for repeater mode (wireless connection between routers) so that it connects to your old wireless and extends the signal.

2. Buy a new router and set it to access point mode (wired connection between routers). Place this in the adjacent room and connect it to the existing "lan cable". Have it broadcast its wifi to the room that needs it.

3. Run a long Ethernet cable to the room that needs internet from your current router to the room that needs it, routing through walls as needed. (Wall plate would probably look prettier)

An even simplier but less elegant solution would be to buy a 4 port or 8 port switch and use it to split the internet on the room adjacent to where you need.

Then buy a long enough Ethernet cable to go from that room to the room the needs internet.

Cat 6 Ethernet Cable 50 ft
https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-Cable-White-Connectors/dp/B00WD017GQ/

Should be long enough to reach most any adjacent rooms but be sure to measure the distance just in case.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Cant do the third, the room where I need the connection is Soundproofed, So drilling any new holes might introduce unwanted sound.
I had thought about the second one as well, but how much lag do you think this would cause while using Steams In Home Streaming?