Share Local Drive To Network on Windows

CONVERSION

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello again TomsHardware!

I've recently had an idea; I have a spare laptop lying around that I use as a second screen (Spacedesk), but that's not really using all of it's spare horse power (i7-4700MQ + GT 745M) so I thought of using it as a video encoding server as I like to encode all the clips I record from Shadowplay into h.265 instead of h.264 to save on space.

In short, I'm looking for a way to share my Shadowplay drive on my Gaming PC to my network (read + write) so my laptop can access it, encode the videos and save the encoded video straight onto my PC without having to take out the hard drive and putting it in an enclosure to encode them. Basically acting as a NAS or file / storage server with RW support.
The whole reason for this is to save on time as when I'm gaming, I want my PC's resources to be on the game, and when I'm encoding, I can't game as it's using up a lot of my PC's resources.

Thanks in advance,
CONVERSION

Solution
On your desktop: Right-click on the folder you want to share, "Share to...". Enter share name
On your laptop: Open File Explorer, go to Network, you'll see your computer / folder somewhere there.

Creating a HomeGroup for both desktop and laptop will make your life much easier.
Otherwise - make sure both of them belong to same workgroup, and you use same username / password on both.
On your desktop: Right-click on the folder you want to share, "Share to...". Enter share name
On your laptop: Open File Explorer, go to Network, you'll see your computer / folder somewhere there.

Creating a HomeGroup for both desktop and laptop will make your life much easier.
Otherwise - make sure both of them belong to same workgroup, and you use same username / password on both.

Solution

CONVERSION

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Thanks Alabalcho,
I set up a HomeGroup, then when I right-clicked the Shadowplay folder, Share To > Homegroup (View + Edit) appeared, which seems like it solves my issue. Thanks heaps!