Question Share one PC to another

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I have 2 PC (old - W10) and new (W11)
Both connected to same WiFi Router, both working fine to internet so WifFi & LAN working for both PC's

I want to share HDD on one PC to the other (to copy across data)
I enabled Network Discovery on both machines
I followed MS steps found on line :-

On W10 PC
Went to file explorer .. selected my E:\
Right click > give access to > advanced sharing
‘share this folder’ is ticked
Selected the E:\ and in permission selected everyone
Saved

On W11 PC
I went to C:\
Right click> Give Access to > Advanced Settings
Selected the C:\ and in permissions selected everyone
Saved

However on W10 PC I can't see the W11 machine and vice versa
I must be missing something ?

If I look at sharing on either PC ... it shows that sharing is greyed it - so presumably not active.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2qh78SS

Reactions: artk2219
Windows 11 uses a different set of protocols to share that are not by default supported by Windows 10. And, there is no reason to be sharing two ways as you are doing here. If your intent is to move files from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then share the drive/directory on the Windows 10 side and access via Windows Explorer on the Windows 11 machine and drag/drop as desired.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
OK ... all I want to do is to be able to copy the file from W10 PC to W11 PC .... I',m happy to do this anyway.
I have shared drive as per the step above on W10 PC i.e.
Saved

You are right that all I need is drag & drop of files, not wanting to remote execute.
How do I access on W11 machine I don't see it in Windows explorer

OK ... all I want to do is to be able to copy the file from W10 PC to W11 PC .... I',m happy to do this anyway.
I have shared drive as per the step above on W10 PC i.e.
Saved

You are right that all I need is drag & drop of files, not wanting to remote execute.
How do I access on W11 machine I don't see it in Windows explorer
You physically seat yourself at the Windows 11 machine, launch Explorer, choose the Windows 10 share and drag/drop to your heart's desire. It's not rocket science.

Ok so you have already shared your E:\ drive on windows 10

Open file explore on the widnows 11 pc
click on this PC
in the middle section of the screen under your C:\ drive right click and select add network location
click next a few times
in the box type \\Rick-pc\e:\ this will map a folder that goes directly to the E drive on your windows 10 pc
If it prompts for a user name and password, use the user name and password you use to login into the windows 10 PC

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Would be if it worked .... nothing on my W10 machine shows on Windows Explorer so I can't drag and drop ...

In Explorer of Left Hand pane it shows only my local disks & One Drive ... does not show W10 PC so I cannot navigate to any files

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Ok so you have already shared your E:\ drive on windows 10

Open file explore on the widnows 11 pc
click on this PC
in the middle section of the screen under your C:\ drive right click and select add network location
click next a few times
in the box type \\Rick-pc\e:\ this will map a folder that goes directly to the E drive on your windows 10 pc
If it prompts for a user name and password, use the user name and password you use to login into the windows 10 PC
I get "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"
Also if I click on Browse ... it shows Network icon if I right-click it shows the router name and network details (WiFi) but if I click on icon to browse to a location, the 'OK button' stays greyed out.
Network Path you used is correct (as shown in pic in OP)
Assuming as W11 machine is new ... issue likely to be on W10 machine

Last edited:

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
If I try \\Rick-pc\e I get "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"
If I try \\Rick-pc\e:\ I get same message
I also tried mapping network drive - and that failed as well

Ralston18

Titan
By using "e" you are referencing an entire drive.

If I follow correctly, you need to have a folder which users can access provided they have or are granted the necessary rights to that folder.

Key is the pathname.

On "e" create a folder named "Testfolder" (Use "test " in some manner so you can easily delete folders that end up in the wrong place or otherwise can be deleted as necesssary after all is worked out.)

Put a couple of expendable files in the Testfolder - files that can be accessed and opened to ensure that all is working. Without risking any data corruption or loss.

Then use \\Rick-pc\Testfolder

Verify that you can open Testfolder on the host computer and also open/view the files therein.

The folder can,in turn, then be shared or assigned a drive letter when mapped.,

I would use "T:" (if not in use) to remind myself or otherwise keep track of the mapping to the Testfolder.

Once you get everything working and understood then you can change folder names and mapped drive letters as desired, necessary, or required.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
By using "e" you are referencing an entire drive.

If I follow correctly, you need to have a folder which users can access provided they have or are granted the necessary rights to that folder.

Key is the pathname.

On "e" create a folder named "Testfolder" (Use "test " in some manner so you can easily delete folders that end up in the wrong place or otherwise can be deleted as necesssary after all is worked out.)

Put a couple of expendable files in the Testfolder - files that can be accessed and opened to ensure that all is working. Without risking any data corruption or loss.

Then use \\Rick-pc\Testfolder

Verify that you can open Testfolder on the host computer and also open/view the files therein.

The folder can,in turn, then be shared or assigned a drive letter when mapped.,

I would use "T:" (if not in use) to remind myself or otherwise keep track of the mapping to the Testfolder.

Once you get everything working and understood then you can change folder names and mapped drive letters as desired, necessary, or required.
I created a 'Test folder' on W10 machine E:\Test
Put files in it and confirm I can access on W10 PC

I shared this to everyone .. View: https://flic.kr/p/2qhg2qq

I went to W11 PC
Right click on This Computer
Add a network Location
Choose a custom network location
\\rick-PC\test

Get same error "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid"
I also tried what I think is logical path \\rick-pc\e\test
but same error

No idea how where to do that … I’ll see if I can find a ‘how to guide’ or revert to a great many copy steps using a usb drive.
Perhaps familiarizing yourself with file sharing would be a good start:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2191054/windows-11-how-to-set-up-a-network.html

Reactions: Ralston18

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Had PC since W3.1 ... never had need to set up workgroup before .... so its new for me.
I'll take a read ... but starting too feel like too much to learn ... just for a one-off to copy across of files.

Only thing I share is a NAS and that already works (just add as mapped drive) , and my printer is connected by WiFi to my router so that works for all PC's as well.

I'll take a read