Question shared ethernet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I think you're extrapolating. To me, "Only one device can connect to the internet at a time" means that you can have three computers connected to this thing, but you can only use the internet one one at a time. That's fine by me. I only use one of these computers at a time. You know, I don't type on two keyboards simultaneously. No internet collisions would ever happen as a result of my usage. But what's happening is that when I just connect two computers to this device, NEITHER even acknowledges the internet. You can't get to the internet with EITHER ONE. What it does NOT say is that you can't even have two machines connected at the same time if you want to use the internet on one of them. If they did say that clearly, no one would buy it.

Now, that's just nuts. What's the purpose of a hub-like device if you can't even keep multiple things connected? I might as well just have one port, and swap cables on it.

The manual says "it does not support two computers connecting to the internet at the same time." Nope, it doesn't support internet access on even one computer when two are connected at the same time. I would be satisfied if I could sit down at one computer, and use the internet, and then switch over to the other and use the internet. But you don't even get that with this.

Last edited:
I think you're extrapolating. To me, "Only one device can connect to the internet at a time" means that you can have three computers connected to this thing, but you can only use the internet one one at a time. That's fine by me. I only use one of these computers at a time. You know, I don't type on two keyboards simultaneously.
Yeah, the mistake you're making there is thinking that "connecting to the internet" means using a web browser and viewing websites.

You turn your computer on, it connects to your router and connects itself to the internet without you doing anything at all. If it sits there switched on and you're not even in the house, it's connected to the internet, and bits of data are going back and forth, whether it's a little or a lot.

Now, that's just nuts. What's the purpose of a hub-like device if you can't even keep multiple things connected?
I might as well just have one port, and swap cables on it.
You might have somebody young, first place, like a small apartment or whatever. Lives alone, Xbox and a laptop/PC in the living room, console under the TV and computer on a desk nearby. They can use this to wire both to the router and simply turn off whichever device they're not using without having to mess around with cables or sorting power for a network switch which costs more and might go wrong.

It's not a scam, it's just a product with a purpose that doesn't apply to you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is a use case for splitter devices like that but is NOT COMMON at all.

Ethernet cables are often used for things other than Networking. In my case I have a telemetry system in my race car which has 2 CAN BUS channels wired to 1 ethernet port on my telemetry unit. There are 8 wires in an ethernet port, 4 wires go to channel 1 and 4 wires to channel 2. I just punch the connectors that go to my 2 CAN devices accordingly and use the splitter to connect them both to the single ethernet port.

Again very uncommon usage, and thus not exactly very marketable. That picture they show is junk, if you have multiple devices connected and both are on, its going to cause issues at both the router and the device, with the devices wither both getting the same IP and then a conflict, or no IP, or any of a number of other issues. If only 1 device is on at a time, it *should* work....

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Sorry, but I think this product is implicitly marketed as something you can connect multiple machines to. Who in the world turns off a computer when they're not using it? I mean, you just don't do that! If I'm making a mistake, the vendor is presuming that EVERYONE will make this mistake, allowing them to sell the product. Nope, what they could say is that "Only one powered-up device can be attached to this at a time." But they carefully don't.

But it is VERY interesting that these things can't be used like USB hubs or an a/c outlet expander, wherin you can just hook up lots of things, and everything works. These days, we're used to hubs that work that way. Yes, that's an interesting case of "uncommon usage".

Who in the world turns off a computer when they're not using it? I mean, you just don't do that!
Whut? Loads of people do.

If I'm making a mistake, the vendor is presuming that EVERYONE will make this mistake, allowing them to sell the product.
Ah, right I get it now. If you're making a mistake, it can only be the type that everybody else would make, because the alternative means you making a mistake when most other people wouldn't. The same way that because you don't turn off your computer when you're not using it it's a ridiculous idea that anybody else might.

You've been told what it does, what it's for, and what you actually need. The rest now appears to be you needing to believe that you were misled rather than got something wrong. Can't help you there, sorry.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Whut? Loads of people do.

In my business, NOBODY does. NONE of my friends do at home. Maybe some people do that to save power? Sheesh.

Ah, right I get it now. If you're making a mistake, it can only be the type that everybody else would make, because the alternative means you making a mistake when most other people wouldn't. The same way that because you don't turn off your computer when you're not using it it's a ridiculous idea that anybody else might.

You've been told what it does, what it's for, and what you actually need. The rest now appears to be you needing to believe that you were misled rather than got something wrong. Can't help you there, sorry.
Then we're done. I appreciate constructive comments from at least the other posters.