Question shared ethernet

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
So, help me out, someone. I have ONE ethernet port, and I'd like to make it available to TWO computers .What exactly do I need? A hub, a splitter, a router, a switch ... what? I got a cheap passive unpowered splitter dongle from Temu, and it works if I plug ONE computer into it. As soon as I plug the second one into it, the connections both crap out. Can't use it with two machines. Is that just a defective splitter?

USAFRet

Titan
So, help me out, someone. I have ONE ethernet port, and I'd like to make it available to TWO computers .What exactly do I need? A hub, a splitter, a router, a switch ... what? I got a cheap passive unpowered splitter dongle from Temu, and it works if I plug ONE computer into it. As soon as I plug the second one into it, the connections both crap out. Can't use it with two machines. Is that just a defective splitter?
Give us a description of exactly what you DO have, and where your 'internet' comes from.

Probably all you need is a 4 port switch, but details matter.

That thing you bought was simply a waste of time and money.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Splitters wont work properly like that. You need to run the cable from the router to a hub and then connect each computer via cable to the hub. The powered hub can properly split the signal to a number of ports, depending on the size of the hub. They run anywhere from 15 bucks and up.
I recently bought this one to provide ports for my office and bedroom smart tv.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S98YLHM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Um, if it won't work, why do they sell it? Is it simply a scam product? Does it do ANYTHING? Pretty obviously, it's plugged into a RJ-45 ethernet connector that comes from a router. If either computer is plugged into that ethernet connector, the ethernet works fine for them. I want both computers to share that connector.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Um, if it won't work, why do they sell it? Is it simply a scam product? Does it do ANYTHING? Pretty obviously, it's plugged into a RJ-45 ethernet connector. If either computer is plugged into that ethernet connector, the ethernet works fine for them. I want both computers to share that connector.
I did some research on these. Some of the companies warn in the description that it will only work for one device at a time. Most don’t say anything. My impression is that they all work in the same limited capacity.

USAFRet

Titan
Um, if it won't work, why do they sell it? Is it simply a scam product? Does it do ANYTHING? Pretty obviously, it's plugged into a RJ-45 ethernet connector. If either computer is plugged into that ethernet connector, the ethernet works fine for them. I want both computers to share that connector.
It sort of works for what it designed for. 1 system at a time, without swapping cables.
Not for what YOU need it to do.

Pretty obviously, it's plugged into a RJ-45 ethernet connector.
And where is that RJ-45 port?

We're just trying to help you, but we NEED to know the parts you're working with. All of it.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I did some research on these. Some of the companies warn in the description that it will only work for one device at a time. Most don’t say anything. My impression is that they all work in the same limited capacity.
Hmmm, you mean you can plug three cables into it, but only one of those cables can actually be plugged into a computer at any given time? That's kinda hilarious.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
It sort of works for what it designed for. 1 system at a time, without swapping cables.
Not for what YOU need it to do.

And where is that RJ-45 port?

We're just trying to help you, but we NEED to know the parts you're working with. All of it.

I posted the Temu link above. That's the dongle. That dongle is plugged into an operating ethernet RJ45 line that comes from a router.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
So, OK, that"splitter"is not intended to allow an ethernet line to be shared. How do I share an ethernet line? Ideally in some passive way. Is there a simple dongle that will allow this?

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Well, the line actually comes from a switch, which is next to the router, and distributing the ethernet to different ports in different rooms. So yes, I could tack another switch onto the switch, but I was hoping for a passive device that I didn't need to plug in. Not possible?

If I need a switch, what exactly are hubs and splitters for?

USAFRet

Titan
Well, the line actually comes from a switch, which is next to the router, and distributing the ethernet to different ports in different rooms. So yes, I could tack another switch onto the switch, but I was hoping for a passive device that I didn't need to plug in. Not possible?

If I need a switch, what exactly are hubs and splitters for?
A passive device such as you already bought will not work.
Ever.

A switch is what you need.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
OK, thank you. It'll be another plug-in switch. But I am really puzzled what these passive dongles are supposed to accomplish. They SAY they're for sharing an ethernet connection. So this is just all false advertising everywhere? These things are sold by pretty reputable places.

Now....what router?
Likely it has more than a single ethernet port.

Yes, these Google Fiber router stations have two ethernet ports, but I'm not inclined to run a second fifty foot ethernet cable to a particular room where I have two computers. I should say that wifi is always a possibility, but speed is much better over ethernet.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, thank you. It'll be another plug-in switch. But I am really puzzled what these passive dongles are supposed to accomplish. They SAY they're for sharing an ethernet connection. So this is just all false advertising everywhere? These things are sold by pretty reputable places.
They are for 2 or 3 systems, one at a time.
Simply so yo don't need to swap cables around

20 years ago, that was sort of a thing.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
That's really interesting, and appears not to be admitted by anyone advertising these things. I think you do need to pull cables because, like I said, for my Temu device you can't even have two computers plugged into one at the same time! So if you want to use one machine, the other actually needs to be disconnected.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Ah, powering off will do it. Tricky!

This has been a fascinating discussion. Thank you, everyone.

Last edited:
That's really interesting, and appears not to be admitted by anyone advertising these things.
82ce03351f77cf7ce8705dbae784b46b.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Literally on that product page you linked us. It also says it in the manual, linked to from that same page:

tDKgojT.png

The manual diagram gives a better illustration of its intended use: you can connect multiple devices to an RJ45 port via ethernet, and it's fine so long as you only use one at any time, the others being turned off. For people who know they'd only want to use one device at a time, they might find it simpler, cheaper and useful than a network switch.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
The manual diagram gives a better illustration of its intended use: you can connect multiple devices to an RJ45 port via ethernet, and it's fine so long as you only use one at any time, the others being turned off. For people who know they'd only want to use one device at a time, they might find it simpler, cheaper and useful than a network switch.
Sometimes you just want something to work so bad. I had a splitter in my Amazon cart a few times before doing the research. I did finally find such language in a few offerings but not all. The correct way does involve extra wiring and a need for power, but it is unavoidable if you need a direct connect.