Question Inconsistencies with new 2TB MX500 SSD ?

Yosef Marcera

Reputable
Oct 1, 2020
I got a 2TB Crucial MX500 to replace my 1TB Crucial BX500 since I need more storage in my SFF rig which can only really fit one 2.5in drive (ZZAW A1P). Ideally, I only have Win11, my apps and my games on my 1TB Crucial P3 Plus boot drive, so I use the 2.5in ssd for my mass storage and personal files separate from the boot drive so I'm safe to reinstall windows as I please.

Initially, it was a smooth experience transferring my files from my drives into the MX500, not experiencing any connection issues or slow speeds whatsoever. Being that my case can only fit one 2.5in drive, I have had my cables managed accordingly, and my BX500 has and have always worked in this configuration. So I unassumingly connected the new MX500 into that same configuration, expecting it to work properly and finally having all my files in one place, but that's where my problem all begins.

Upon my first attempt at starting up my pc, I noticed that the boot and everything that requires loading in windows felt really slow. I open up my file explorer to see that only my boot drive is seen, and the MX500 drive missing. Upon checking HDSentinel, it's detected but is suddenly at just 80% performance. I check disk management, and it's shown as "Not Initialised", and no "Unallocated Space" mentioned, just blank.

I shut down my pc, and upon multiple attempts at switching between different sata cables, psu sata connectors, and motherboard ports, it seems that on certain occasions, the ssd would work as normal, but the sata cable, psu cable, or mobo port used seemed irrelevant to the cause since regardless of the cables used, there would be times it would work and wouldn't work.

When the ssd does work however, HDSentinel reports it to be back at 100% performance and health. I've run chkdsk on cmd, as well as an extended self-test on Crucial's Storage Executive app, both seem to show positive results with no detected problems. Just to be sure, I also installed CrystalDiskInfo.

There have been two instances wherein I got a BSOD with the stop code: CACHE_MANAGER. As well as another one with "system_thread_exception_not_handled (ntfs.sys)". Here are some files from my Minidump: Google Drive.

The only thing I haven't tried at this point is to fully clear the MX500 ssd and format it, since I have no extra drive to move 1.5TB worth of files to. Also, it seems so that when it does not show up on file manager and isn't detected properly, it usually needs to be moved to a different motherboard port to (maybe) work again; might take a couple attempts.

I really don't want to accept that it's faulty, since this ssd has cost me a good amount and I am only a student with not a lot of cash to monetarily rectify the issues. I would love to take all the chances I could get and hope that this is fixable considering all the drive tests seem to work out fine.

RealBeast

Titan
So you did nothing to the OS drive in the process and there is just storage, no programs on the second drive? And you are sure that the MBR is on the OS drive?

I would try this first: clear the CMOS before taking more drastic measures if you haven't done anything to the OS drive, then rethink your plan and do actual backup of everything to your secondary back up before proceeding.