Question Shared GPU memory used by a dedicated graphics card?

Mar 3, 2019
According to task manager, my GTX 1070 is given 8gb of shared gpu memory on top of it's own 8gb of vram, giving me 16gb of total gpu memory... I've researched it a bit, 99.9% of threads say that dedicated cards don't use ram, so I don't know if I can trust the 0.1% that says Windows shares system memory with dedicated gpus if necessary.

Can anyone here confirm or deny whether this is an actual function or just a glitch in task manager? The thing is, that shared memory bit is never actually being used, even when the vram caps out. Programs crash before using it... not to mention that I (only) have 16gb of ram in total, and my system uses way more that 8gb of ram when stressed. I have no idea what's going on.

If it IS possible to allocate ram to a dedicated gpu, does anyone know where can I set it up? I'm off to get some high speed ram if we can get it to work. (I kinda need it for Blender)

f2ixlf.png

Here are some my specs in case it matters:
CPU:
I7-6700

GPU:
GTX 1070 (8gb)

Ram:
16gb (2X8gb generic HP sticks)

Page file size:
15,154mb (handled by Windows on 2 SSDs)

Windows 10 Pro

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Pretty sure the 8 GB of shared video memory is the max the integrated graphics in your i7 CPU can use. Your system is not limited to using one GPU. People have hooked up different monitors to their Nvidia GPU and the motherboard's video port (using the CPU's integrated GPU).

Mar 3, 2019
Pretty sure the 8 GB of shared video memory is the max the integrated graphics in your i7 CPU can use. Your system is not limited to using one GPU. People have hooked up different monitors to their Nvidia GPU and the motherboard's video port (using the CPU's integrated GPU).

Thanks for the reply,
To clear things up, both monitors are connected to the graphics card. Also, the integrated gpu (inside the cpu) doesn't show up on device manager, thus I think it's disabled.