Shared memory on my Radeon HD 5570? Also temperatures?

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251763_261243707224018_100000151734826_1222203_7943343_n.jpg

Shared system memory 1791MB

I don't recall seeing an option anywhere in CCC2, and I don't quite understand why it's using shared system memory. Is there anyway to disable this?

Also what are safe temps for this card to run at? On idle, I run around 30C to 40C, and on the Furry Cube test in Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer, I go to the low 60C's. I heard that CPU's that started running near 60C risked damage, and my GPU is already slightly over that (on full load, but still). Do GPU's follow the same guidelines, or is the max safe temp range higher?

Edit: And another question. My Biostar A880G+ Motherboard advertised something called Hybrid Crossfire. From my understanding, it would use the power of both the IGP and dedicated GPU combined? I heard also that it instead uses the IGP for basic tasks, and dedicated GPU for more intense things. Which one is right? Also from a performance point of view, is it worth trying to enable even?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ever since Windows Vista, shared memory (Hypermemory/TurboCache) has been automatic. I don't know of a way to disable it, but it's not like the memory is unusable by your system. The memory is available to your graphics card, but should your system require it, it's automatically reallocated to allow for higher CPU functionality.

As for your Hybrid Crossfire questions, the first is true, however the second may also be true. As for whether or not it's worth enabling, that depends on your system usage.

-Wolf sends

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hmm, well also CCC2 reports only 1024MB of RAM to the GPU only, as well as DxDiag. Something isn't reporting it right (most likely WEI), but idk what lol

I mostly play a lot of games, so more GPU processing power is what I'm aiming for

Hybrid crossfire is basically useless except with the new Llano processors. Just forget about it.
Shared system memory is system memory. It is not being used by any GPU. That said you likely actually have 2gb or 2048mb of RAM. Your system memory being what it is means your motherboards IGP is still active and has 256mb of RAM dedicated to it. You should be able disable it or change the amount of RAM it uses in your motherboards BIOS.
GPUs can handle more heat than processors. Under 90c is fine for most current GPUs.