Question Sharing internet connection with my virtual server

strydez

Reputable
Aug 26, 2020
How would I share my residential internet connection from my PC with my virtual server so my virtual server has the IP of my residential internet connection? Basically turning my PC into a VPN that masks my virtual server's database IP

Ralston18

Titan
What do you mean by a residential internet connection?

Your ISP provides an IP address to your router and your router provides DHCP IP addresses to the router's supported network devices including your PC.

The virtual server is hosted on on your PC and includes some kind of database that you wish to share while hiding the share behind a VPN.

A bit more explanation is needed because I think there is a contradiction involved.

strydez

Reputable
Aug 26, 2020
The virtual server is hosted in a data center. I'm not looking to share files or database. I'm looking to share the internet connection/IP of my PC with the virtual server that is hosted in the data center

strydez

Reputable
Aug 26, 2020
I'm going to have to bow out of this one for now.

I still have NO idea what you're trying to do, or trying to circumvent.

And trying to circumvent some other resources restrictions will quickly lead to this being closed.
I want my virtual server IP to be displayed as my home IP, can you elaborate on which part is confusing?

How much control over the virtual server do you have. Can you actually load VPN software on the server and can you manipulate the routing on the server to make it work.

From your description you basically want to somehow assign you home IP address to a server that resides in a data center.

Going to be very messy to get it to work. I would first try to do this with a router but it might take a fairly powerful device because you likely are going to have to use openvpn to get it to pass though the remote data center. It all depends on how much traffic you plan to pass.

So you would need a router that has a VPN server function, this is actually fairly common on better routers just be sure it can host OPENVPN and not just IPSEC. You would then load client software in the virutal server at the data center. You would need to find a way to assign a fixed IP address from your lan subnet.
Next you would need to put in port forwarding rules on the router so that the traffic from other machines gets sent to this IP you assigned to server on the remote side of the vpn.

You can do this with a pc but I would recommend you use linux and not windows. Microsoft does a very poor job of letting you use a pc as a router. I suspect it can be done if you work at it hard enough but they keep changing this stuff. Unless you have performance issues I would try to use a actual router to do this.

strydez

Reputable
Aug 26, 2020
How much control over the virtual server do you have. Can you actually load VPN software on the server and can you manipulate the routing on the server to make it work.

From your description you basically want to somehow assign you home IP address to a server that resides in a data center.

Going to be very messy to get it to work. I would first try to do this with a router but it might take a fairly powerful device because you likely are going to have to use openvpn to get it to pass though the remote data center. It all depends on how much traffic you plan to pass.

So you would need a router that has a VPN server function, this is actually fairly common on better routers just be sure it can host OPENVPN and not just IPSEC. You would then load client software in the virutal server at the data center. You would need to find a way to assign a fixed IP address from your lan subnet.
Next you would need to put in port forwarding rules on the router so that the traffic from other machines gets sent to this IP you assigned to server on the remote side of the vpn.

You can do this with a pc but I would recommend you use linux and not windows. Microsoft does a very poor job of letting you use a pc as a router. I suspect it can be done if you work at it hard enough but they keep changing this stuff. Unless you have performance issues I would try to use a actual router to do this.
I have a tp-link archer c4000.

will that work?

It should be possible but you are going to have to test the performance. Even though that has a fast cpu it is still nothing compared to even many cell phones.

You are going to have to read the manual for details. The part that tends to be tricky is going to be assigning a fixed IP to the remote machine. It might be possible to do it in the client settings. Then you have to hope the router is smart enough to port forward traffic to a vpn connection.
You are doing multiple things that most people don't do so it is hard to say how much support the router has. TPlink tends to be better than many. I am not sure but that router may also support third party firmware if you get stuck. Third party firmware can do much more because it is based on linux but you put even more burden on the router cpu.

strydez

Reputable
Aug 26, 2020
It should be possible but you are going to have to test the performance. Even though that has a fast cpu it is still nothing compared to even many cell phones.

You are going to have to read the manual for details. The part that tends to be tricky is going to be assigning a fixed IP to the remote machine. It might be possible to do it in the client settings. Then you have to hope the router is smart enough to port forward traffic to a vpn connection.
You are doing multiple things that most people don't do so it is hard to say how much support the router has. TPlink tends to be better than many. I am not sure but that router may also support third party firmware if you get stuck. Third party firmware can do much more because it is based on linux but you put even more burden on the router cpu.
Crap, that sounds like a lot of work.

Is there a program that I can download which makes my pc like a VPN and I can connect to my virtual server to my PC and take my PC's IP?
Things like https://www.softether.org/ ?

If you just wanted the vpn maybe you could just use a vpn server program. The vpn server is not the large issue. What makes it hard is you want other traffic to come through your router to the same pc that is running the vpn and then have the pc send the traffic through the vpn tunnel.
I have no idea what restrictions microsoft puts on this. You in effect want to do routing based on a incoming port. If they are real jerks they make you buy server licenses because they don't put the needed feature in the OS.

If you plan to do this you are much better off using a dedicated pc both for security as well as performance issues.

What you want to do is in effect hack past restrictions. Hacking requires lots of detailed knowledge on how things really work so you can work around restrictions.