Sharing my neighbors internet connection via wireless (legit)

vertigoat

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
At my shop, I've got no internet and my my neighbor offered to share his with me. He's got a wireless router but it is located at the back of his shop and I don't pick up the signal in mine due to distance. I was wondering what the best way to do this would be?

I do have a wireless printer in my shop so I took an old Actiontek verizon fios router and hooked it up so that my mac and laptop could talk. It works wonderfully. My first thought was to put my actiontek router in my neighbors shop and connect it to his router via ethernet cable. Sort of like an access point but I'm not sure if the actiontek router can be set as an access point with DHCP disabled.

I'm up for suggestions, and I'm prepared to purchase another/better router if that's part of the solution.

thanks!

Solution
Must be a rather large building then, normally it does no go from no signal to a usable signal in a short distance. If you cable it to the other router you can use it as a AP.
Why would you think you could pick the wireless signal from your actiontek device up any better than your neighbors signal if you put this device over in his location.

You don't have a lot of options you have to get the signal to your location before you can use it. You could of course run a ethernet cable all the way and leave the actiontek box in your location using it as a AP. Other than that you are going to have to find a way to connect between the locations. Something like outdoor wireless bridges would work but at what point is it just easier to get your own internet connection and not worry about all the work require to install and maintain this.

vertigoat

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

because his router is in the rear of his shop but the front of his shop is what faces mine. The guy next to him has a router and I can see his signal just fine. It's a location thing. So, I thought if I put my router in the front of his shop, then I'd be able to communicate.