Sharp May Cancel Foxconn's Investment Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
This is sad. My family and I have bought a lot of Sharp TVs in the past and they all lasted at least 5 years. They were all affordable and simply just didn't die. They've always been one of my favorite TV brands

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]Apl injecting 2 bn in Sharp along with Qualcomm n sammyin order word.....Apl CO-OPERATING? dis iz impossible[/citation]
This isn't twitter and you're not sending a text to one of your friends, so try to write normally.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]This is sad. My family and I have bought a lot of Sharp TVs in the past and they all lasted at least 5 years. They were all affordable and simply just didn't die. They've always been one of my favorite TV brands[/citation]
Are you implying 5 years is a long life for a tv? Lol.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Are you implying 5 years is a long life for a tv? Lol.[/citation]

Yeah, my Hitachi plasma has been with us for about 8 years now and it's still going strong.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]Sadly these days anything lasting a day over warranty is long life.[/citation]
Um, they need to normally last somewhat longer than that otherwise the manufacturer will get nearly 100% returns...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Sharp has had instances of great success, and great failure. Their line of office products never seemed to really gain much traction, and the TV market became saturated by other makers, pretty much pushing Sharp's market share into the basement. Sadly for Sharp it isn't clear there is much of a future for them, loans and investments, or not. The best they can hope for at this point is to sell to someone who might have use for their facilities and manufacturing streams.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I have a [citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Are you implying 5 years is a long life for a tv? Lol.[/citation]

I have a Panasonic RP-HDTV that I bought in 2003. It's no longer the main TV of the house, but it gets used for cartoon DVDs almost every day. It's a good TV with a lot of life left, even with the dimming CRTs. 9 years of service before replacement, and that was a fluke that it got replaced. I have an even older 27" Pro-Scan SDTV from '93 that still works well and I keep as a standby. If a TV I bought only lasted 5 years (and died without outside influence) before needing to be replaced I'd likely never buy that brand again.

People shouldn't expect to have to replace appliances due to failure before 10+ years. If you do, you bought too cheap. Most of the appliances I've bought in the last 15 years have gotten replaced by new models because they are obsolete, not broken. The hardest part about the whole thing is throwing a working unit away because I can't find a home for it (even for free sometimes).

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
IMHO, Sharp makes the best big (60+ inches) LCD panels. They do make quality products, even if on a consumer level they are not well known. You don't get big time investors if you make bad products.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Maybe Sharp should try developing quality products.....[/citation]
Sharp does! The TV and PC monitor market is one of the worst consumer electronics market to be in. Very low profit and expensive R&D and manufacturing. This is one reason Apple is not jumping on the TV band wagon. Samsung was smart and spread its tentacles into many electronic markets that can help sustain its TV brand.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]catfishtx[/nom]IMHO, Sharp makes the best big (60+ inches) LCD panels. They do make quality products, even if on a consumer level they are not well known. You don't get big time investors if you make bad products.[/citation]
Remember when Mitsubishi was the best large screen brand? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.