Shift+Tab, Steam Overlay not working

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I can't get shift+tab to work, OR alt+tab.

I have 'Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game' box checked under in-game setting, AND for the individual games.

Does anyone know what causes this? It started when I first played Shadow of Mordor, and now it is happening during COD: Advanced Warfare.

I can't opt out of the game at any point, even when I'm in a menu screen... can't steam chat and it is quite annoying.

The only way I can chat while in-game is to ctrl+alt+delete

Please advise.

Solution
People got the same problem of you on Shadow of Mordor.
"Basically, it can range from any number of background programs, Fraps just happened to be the one for me, but I have heard of others (MSI Afterburner being one of them) to be the cause."

"any program that shows you the fps on screen"

"any overclockable program"

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
yeah I've been to that page lol...

I haven't added any new programs since it was last working, only COD: Advanced Warfare and Shadow of Mordor -- those are the 2 games it started not working.

For those two games, I noticed my 2nd monitor flashes as they start up (goes blank for a second), and this doesn't happen with other games where the shift+tab will work for me.

My 2nd display is just for chat boxes, monitoring programs, etc... I'm playing games fullscreen on the main monitor

Francky Franck

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
People got the same problem of you on Shadow of Mordor.
"Basically, it can range from any number of background programs, Fraps just happened to be the one for me, but I have heard of others (MSI Afterburner being one of them) to be the cause."

"any program that shows you the fps on screen"

"any overclockable program"

Solution

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
thanks. I DO use Fraps, I tried disabling it once to see if that was causing it... and for me that wasn't the problem. Where did you happen to find those comments you quoted?

I appreciate your help buddy

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
UPDATE: I think Fraps may have actually been the problem after all. I thought I shut it down and tried without it before, but I didn't have Fraps running today and the shift+tab command was working fine in COD: Advanced Warfare

iinRez

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

This is the cause of the problem for the game creativerse not allowing steam overlay as well, I wonder if running in admin will allow the overlay to work even if you have a background program running also.