[SOLVED] Shifting from BIOS to UEFI on Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2-CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020
I want to shift from BIOS to UEFI, my drives are using Master Boot Record MBR, I need to convert them using MBR2GPT.EXE on my Windows 10, the only problem is, that I am not 100% if my motherboard supports UEFI, my motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2-CF with BIOS: F40 – AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.2. To shift to UEFI, I have to change the boot mode to UEFI, but I cannot find anything like that in Gigabyte BIOS. All I see is CSM support which is enabled at the moment, and storage boot option which is set to Legacy only at the moment. Does it mean that if I convert my drive to GPT partition and change storage boot option to UEFI everything will work well? Or maybe disable CSM? Or does my motherborad not support UEFI? Many thanks, I cannot find anything on Google.

Solution
Update: I converted to UEFI
After converting my disk to GUID Partition Table (GPT) using MBR2GPT, I had to disable CSM and change the boot priority in BIOS to Windows Boot Manager - there was no UEFI disk to choose (I thought there will be) for some reason and if I booted from the previous settings, it wouldn't load the OS.
The MBR2GPT failed to restore WinRe (reagentc) - I don't know if that has any impact on any of this. But that's probably a topic for another post. I'll google it first.
If the disk wasn't prepared as GPT during Windows install it probably didn't set up the EFI partition and required 'Reserve Partition', which would mean the BIOS doesn't see a UEFI disk to boot to. If that's the case, you'll probably need to...
Apr 15, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
I've already checked the manual, and the only two things I found were the CSM support and a storage boot option, where I can change to UEFI, but there is no "BIOS mode" or "boot mode" change option, where you can switch between BIOS and UEFI. Also, everything in the manual and in the setup is called BIOS, which makes me even more confused.
The motherboard itself says GIGABYTE™ UEFI BIOS so that would imply it supports UEFI, but I cannot find any confirmation anywhere. I guess I should just go for it, and back up my files before I convert.

Apr 15, 2020
After converting my disk to GUID Partition Table (GPT) using MBR2GPT, I had to disable CSM and change the boot priority in BIOS to Windows Boot Manager - there was no UEFI disk to choose (I thought there will be) for some reason and if I booted from the previous settings, it wouldn't load the OS.
The MBR2GPT failed to restore WinRe (reagentc) - I don't know if that has any impact on any of this. But that's probably a topic for another post. I'll google it first.

If the disk wasn't prepared as GPT during Windows install it probably didn't set up the EFI partition and required 'Reserve Partition', which would mean the BIOS doesn't see a UEFI disk to boot to. If that's the case, you'll probably need to re-install Windows to get this to work.

There may be ways to create the partitions and populate the EFI. With persistence you might find them (maybe something like MiniTool Partition Wizard) but IMO just taking a backup and reinstalling could be the easiest way.

One thing you might try is a Repair Install with inplace upgrade.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 15, 2020
When I open Disk Management, the disk shows 3 healthy partitions: Recovery, C: , and EFI (I can't add a screenshot here), and it's using GUID partition style, so it all looks how it should (I think) and everything seems to work so far. So I don't know. I will check out the article you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.