Shock tolerance hdd level

jester555

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello, i want to know if there is a shock tolerance spec. for 2.5in hard drive disks? AND (if yes) is there some commercial classes of those for known hdd brand name?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I think this should be available from manufacturers possibly in the details of any warranty they provide.

I'm assuming you have some specific application for this and aren't choosing a single 2.5 drive based simply on how much force it can take before breaking.

jester555

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Actually, i have a VAIO ' VPCF 121 FB ' laptop and the internal hdd broke 2 times with minor shocks so I dont really mind getting a mid performance hdd as long as it doesnt break again during transports...

the thing is that companies didnt describe the shock resistance in obvious terms (like that of falling from height X), they rather described it with [Hz] units (ex.:0.00459 g²/Hz (10 to 500 Hz))

I guess I'll just have to check out many HDD to compare vibration resistance....
Thank you

As long as the laptop is shut off when you move it, the drive should be OK, even a regular one with a platter. The issue comes into play when you move it while the PC is running. A shut off laptop can handle a bit of a drop and still be OK, I've dropped them off a full size tower with no issues, about 2-3 feet up.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

This is a very good point hang-the-9! If you've been moving the laptop around without the read heads being in a parked position you are going to brutally murder any disk regardless of shock resistance!

What I've seen of shock resistance for Western Digital and Seagate Laptop Hard Drives :

Western Digital
Operating Shock (Read) : 350G, 2ms
Non-operating Shock : 1000G, 2 ms

Seagate
Operating Shock (max) : 350 Gs for 2ms
Nonoperating Shock (max) : 1000 Gs for 1ms

For an SSD : Shock Resistant up to 1500G seems to be the typical value.