Question shocker... B250 chipset and Skylake combination has been causing NVMe errors

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
My ASUS B250M-A board has been working with a i5-6500 CPU since 2017. The board never was able to take any NVMe drive without errors. During the Windows installation, there was always some sort of "corrupted file" error and installed Windows was never stable. I ended up using a SATA drive for the whole time until I retired it recently. I gave away the 6500 CPU and the board was collecting dusts on top of my bookshelf.
Today I obtained a leftover 7100T cpu for free... so why not, I installed it in the ASUS board, and that is when I started to think maybe the NVMe errors were some sort of compatibility between B250 and Skylake chips? so I tried a NVMe drive (SM961 256Gb that had problems before) and voila error free installation of Windows 10.

Is this something already known? Any similar observations?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I tried all possible changes in the BIOS to make it work. Including UEFI vs traditional, virtualization on/off even borrowed a 6700 CPU and tested. (Silly I didn't think of borrowing a Kaby Lake) No cpu or ram OC what so ever. 3 different Ssd's 3 different usb drives for Windows 10 media. All 2 m.2 sockets. All behaved the same.

Edit: the board was replaced once by newegg as well