[SOLVED] Shopping for semi-budget multi-input monitor that doesn't drop the HDMI handshake

Jan 10, 2019
I used two 21" DVI monitors forever. I finally decided to upgrade to the 27" Asus VE278H since I was starting to stack up some dead pixels and just wanted something new. I'm horribly disappointed in it. I could ignore most of the nitpicks, but there are two major problems that I'm hoping to solve by a different monitor.

1. Switching inputs flips around my displays, icons, and windows. I understand this is "desired" behavior from Windows, but I seriously hate it. I'm regularly switching inputs several times daily, and I just can't put up with it. A friend has an expensive G-sync monitor that does not do this (his use case is similar to mine) but it's not like that's an advertised feature. I have no idea how to shop for a monitor that will give me what I want.

2. My nintendo switch will not play in 1080p mode on this monitor. It simply flickers black constantly. Lots of documentation of this problem existing in various setups with no real fix or even cause. It does not do this on my old monitor. It does not do this on my TV, nor my unreplaced secondary monitor. No matter what steps I follow or parts I swap, this issue exists ONLY with this monitor. Another issue I have no idea how to shop around.

I purchased the monitor due to the speakers and dual HDMI inputs, while being a good size with decent reviews. At this point I don't what to buy. I'm thinking a valid bypass would be to just use a DVI/HDMI dual input monitor and use DVI for my PC, but that still leaves #2.

Solution
I was a little confused from your first post. I thought you switched from dual DVI monitors to a single HDMI monitor. Your symptoms do not make any sense in a single monitor setup. However, I understand now.

This is a classic problem that has been affecting systems since Windows 7. Basically, Windows automatically detects if a display, which connects via DisplayPort or HDMI, is "disconnected." This will result in the symptoms you described. This does not affect monitors connected via DVI. Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD are currently not providing an official fix to this issue for all users.

There are a few unofficial fixes:

> On Nvidia workstation video cards (Quadro series), there is an option to override the EDID in the control panel...
What do you mean by "flips around my displays, icons, and windows."? Are you using a multi-monitor setup? If so, how are the monitors arranged? Are you trying to use both the PC and Nintendo Switch at the same time while switching inputs between the two?

Jan 10, 2019

Yes, I'm using dual monitors set to Extend. Side-by-side. When changing inputs, windows hiccups, I lose both displays, and windows and icons to move to new positions when they come back on a moment later. The behavior is well-discussed in the link below, and products even exist to get around this.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral

I am commonly using both simultaneously. I'm not rapidly switching between the two obviously, but I would say I switch inputs back and forth no less than 2 to 3 times per day. The issue is bothersome enough that I am looking for a monitor that gets around the issue.

I was a little confused from your first post. I thought you switched from dual DVI monitors to a single HDMI monitor. Your symptoms do not make any sense in a single monitor setup. However, I understand now.

This is a classic problem that has been affecting systems since Windows 7. Basically, Windows automatically detects if a display, which connects via DisplayPort or HDMI, is "disconnected." This will result in the symptoms you described. This does not affect monitors connected via DVI. Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD are currently not providing an official fix to this issue for all users.

There are a few unofficial fixes:

> On Nvidia workstation video cards (Quadro series), there is an option to override the EDID in the control panel. This option is not present on consumer video cards.

> The EDID signal from the monitor can be physically disabled. A specific pin will need to be blocked. An adapter for HDMI interfaces called Motion Detector Killer (http://monitordetectkiller.com/) does exactly this.

> EDID emulators are another option. Although their main purpose is to make a system believe there is a monitor connected (headless), it will also solve the Windows monitor detection problem. You will have to find a pass-through EDID emulator adapter for your setup.

Solution