Question Short blackscreen when a video plays

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 8, 2022
Hello

I'm having a display related problem.

so everytime i'm having short blackscreens when doing the following:
-scrolling twitter and a video apear on my timeline
-setting a video to fullscreen or removing it from fullscreen in microsoft groove music
-playing a video on youtube
-setting the youtube video to fullscreen or removing the video from fullscreen

To me it look like it's switching from my GPU to something else, maybe a power saving mode or soemthing...

Config:
-CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
-GPU RTX 3080
-Drive some SSD
-Monitor AOC e2450Swh (1920x1080 60hz)
-OS Windows 11
-MOBO Asus Rog x470f
-PSU 850w 80+gold
-RAM 32gb (16gb usable by windows,that's another problem i have)

It used to hapen with my old GTX 1050ti too
after upgrading to the RTX 3080 i did a reset and clean install of my pc

hopefully someone would b able to help

If you can't use the fourth slot, which is the A2 slot on your board (Yes, ASUS thought they'd be cute and swapped the locations of the slots on this board for some stupid reason) then you really can't properly use the board at all since the first pair of DIMMs are SUPPOSED to be installed in the A2 and B2 slots. And you are saying that with all the other slots populated, no matter which of the four DIMMs gets inserted in the A2 slot, that DIMM will not work, yes?

I'd pull the CPU and make sure there are no bent pins and that the CPU cooler to backplate bracket is fully tightened all the way around, but not TOO tight, and then also that the CPU cooler is fully seated all the way around, but again, not overly tight if it is an aftermarket cooler.

Unfortunately, that is probably a long shot although we do see it often enough, but the reality is that this is MOST likely a faulty motherboard. I'd make sure there were also no standoffs under the board in locations where they don't belong and nothing else that might be shorting any part of the board out. Pulling the board completely out of the case and building it with minimal hardware on the bench is probably a good idea as well but I think in the end this is either going to be a board problem or a CPU issue unless it is only a single DIMM that has this problem but it sounds like no matter what DIMM is installed in the A2 slot you have the same problem. Which means either board or CPU.

Sep 8, 2022
If you can't use the fourth slot, which is the A2 slot on your board (Yes, ASUS thought they'd be cute and swapped the locations of the slots on this board for some stupid reason) then you really can't properly use the board at all since the first pair of DIMMs are SUPPOSED to be installed in the A2 and B2 slots. And you are saying that with all the other slots populated, no matter which of the four DIMMs gets inserted in the A2 slot, that DIMM will not work, yes?

I'd pull the CPU and make sure there are no bent pins and that the CPU cooler to backplate bracket is fully tightened all the way around, but not TOO tight, and then also that the CPU cooler is fully seated all the way around, but again, not overly tight if it is an aftermarket cooler.

Unfortunately, that is probably a long shot although we do see it often enough, but the reality is that this is MOST likely a faulty motherboard. I'd make sure there were also no standoffs under the board in locations where they don't belong and nothing else that might be shorting any part of the board out. Pulling the board completely out of the case and building it with minimal hardware on the bench is probably a good idea as well but I think in the end this is either going to be a board problem or a CPU issue unless it is only a single DIMM that has this problem but it sounds like no matter what DIMM is installed in the A2 slot you have the same problem. Which means either board or CPU.

i doubt this come from my CPU or my Mobo being faulty, the four slot and ram worked before i've updtaed the bios (just windows property telling me 16/32 but everywhere they were detected as 32gb) for the CPU it's all good, i'll try to swap the B1 RAM someday,that one is under the cooler and i have to unmount it to access it, i'll do that next week wend so i can also replace the thermal paste, been a while

for the GPU in the userbecnhmark i've posted it seems to work good, i'm also able to play some games, tryed BF2042 on ultra with DLSS on and i'm around 40-60 fps wich is playable, it was very slow before i think it's due to the RAM increase from 16gb to 24gb, also minecraft is at 120fps and Mordhau around 60-70 fps

but hardware accélération is still not working wich make Studio One crash :(
i bet if hardware acceleration can be fixed i will get way more fps

i've found this video wich shows a test in some games, i'll try with R6 Siege if i have similar fps or not to see
View: https://youtu.be/F6dI7mJrw9o

Sep 8, 2022
I've found the fix for the short blackscreen problem, big thanks to this vidéo
View: https://youtu.be/m0T0Oln6khk

so the fix is to
-got o nvidia control panel
-display tab
-adjust desktop color settings
-scroll down
-change the content type reported to the display from "auto-select" to "desktop program"

I still have crash in Studio one due to hardware acceleration not working so i'll keep searching...
i've updated windows to 2h22 and nvidia drivers to v517.40(Studio)(09/20/2022)

nothing changed

Sep 8, 2022
Well, if that was the fix then you might be able to resolve the Studio one problem by re-enabling hardware acceleration. If enabling hardware acceleration brings the problem back then those other options maybe weren't the solution.

I've enabled it in the display settings and also the thing where you tell each app to run with "high performance"

it didn't worked sadly

Is there some software that could force hardware acceleration everywhere maybe?

Sep 8, 2022
I noticed the error notification when using Studio One says something like "An hardware acceleration error hapened (0x889A0001)" i've googled that and it looks like it's a directX error, i did a DXDIAG and i'm on the last version it seems

By "last version" do you mean one version older than the latest, or the latest?

Are you certain you have your display cable plugged into the video outputs on your graphics card and not the ones on your motherboard?

DirectX errors can happen for many reasons. Third party applications are generally the most common. If you are using something like Afterburner, Riva tuner, Discord or GeForce experience overlays, or any other type of overlay or GPU monitoring application/utility, I'd uninstall it and see if you still get the same errors. Also, if you have installed any of the ASUS utilities like Armoury Crate, AI Suite, Dual intelligent processors, Aura, Live dash, etc., I'd uninstall those as well to see if they might be to blame. Mostly those types of utilities aren't much better than having a Trojan on your system anyhow to be honest.

Sep 8, 2022
By "last version" do you mean one version older than the latest, or the latest?

Are you certain you have your display cable plugged into the video outputs on your graphics card and not the ones on your motherboard?

DirectX errors can happen for many reasons. Third party applications are generally the most common. If you are using something like Afterburner, Riva tuner, Discord or GeForce experience overlays, or any other type of overlay or GPU monitoring application/utility, I'd uninstall it and see if you still get the same errors. Also, if you have installed any of the ASUS utilities like Armoury Crate, AI Suite, Dual intelligent processors, Aura, Live dash, etc., I'd uninstall those as well to see if they might be to blame. Mostly those types of utilities aren't much better than having a Trojan on your system anyhow to be honest.

Yes i mean latest version, i double checked my monitor is on the GPU (i could have it on the Mobo because i was trying to clear cmos before and was strugling with no display, anyway that was fixed)

i did a dxdiag and it seems i have the latest version, also games using directx can run.

So i've heard that windows11 22h2 made a problem with Nvidia GPU getting stutter

i need to try it on windows 10 someday maybe

Sep 8, 2022
That is NOT the latest driver. The latest driver is version 517.48, you have 517.40.

I was runing with nvidia studio driver wich is the latest one for these, but i've installed the game ready one you've sent as this one is updated for the 22h2 problem if i'm right

i launched minecraft to test and i still have low fps
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

i'm gonna try BF2042 to see if it's better

Sep 8, 2022
Low FPS and black screens are two different problems. I think we are morphing into different things now.

I have no idea what i did but i think it's kinda fixed
I've updated windows to last version 22H2 build 22621.521 and Nvidia driver to Game ready 517.48

-Minecraft running slow is a known problem aparently

-Studio One work again (as everything using hardware acceleration)

-I tryed R6 Siege nd can play on ultra smoothly, BF2042 work well too, same for Mordhau. it does feel like the games could get more FPS but it might be bcause of the 24gb RAM + PCIe 3.0 + Ryzen second gen that are probably bottlenecking the GPU

We're indeed morhping to another topic, i though the black screen problem was because of hardware acceleration but i was wrong, it was just a color settings in nvidia control panel, so yeah i would say it's solved, thans for your help.

TRENDING THREADS