short cut icons turn to white squares

in recent weeks I have had problems with desktop short cuts. a short while after turning pc on all my shortcut icons change to what looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded over. this always seems to happen after msoft updates.... restarting the pc does not cure the problem but it corrects itself if turn the pc off completely then turn it back on again.

Solution
Seems that Windows somehow manages to temporarily lose the icon property settings. Along with the desktop arrangement sometimes.

Right-click a screen icon and go to properties.

There will be a variety of tabs, properties, and settings related to that shortcut.

Check the shortcut icon information when everything is working - i.e., the icons appear as normal.

Then check again next time the problem occurs. See what may be amiss or otherwise different.

Turn the pc off and on again and check once more.

My thought is that some part of the update is making a temporary system change that does not get corrected or implemented until there is full shutdown and reboot. Some process or service needs to be fully cleared from memory.

Ralston18

Titan
Seems that Windows somehow manages to temporarily lose the icon property settings. Along with the desktop arrangement sometimes.

Right-click a screen icon and go to properties.

There will be a variety of tabs, properties, and settings related to that shortcut.

Check the shortcut icon information when everything is working - i.e., the icons appear as normal.

Then check again next time the problem occurs. See what may be amiss or otherwise different.

Turn the pc off and on again and check once more.

My thought is that some part of the update is making a temporary system change that does not get corrected or implemented until there is full shutdown and reboot. Some process or service needs to be fully cleared from memory.

Solution